Question about PSU or Motherboard failure and USB peripherals .

esumsea747

n00b
Hey Guys,

Don't know if this is the correct place but I have a question: Could a PSU or motherboard failure cause a spike that can ruin connected usb peripherals? If so, will this also happen if you use a distro box expander, like the d-link, which has its own power supply? I ask this question because I was buying a enclosure to provide duplicate protection for some files and the guy at TD told me that network enclosures were better because they are not susceptible to this failure. I don't know, I have had many network cards fail after lightning stricks even though their power supplies were protected and even though they were not connected straight to the line but through a router. So, I don't know if he is correct and web searching is not helping me find the answers. I want to keep back ups of everything on my computer on externals so they will be safe regardless of any failure. I even have my USB drives on an additional surge protector daisy-chained off my UPS. I have lost to much stuff in the past an am trying to be responsible.:eek:

ANY info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Let me know.
Regards,
Mario

Any power supply can overload and fry components. It isn't common, but these things do happen. It's impossible to guarantee that you won't have any such failure.

It could happen yes, but it would be uncommon. Damage usually goes the other way though, where the external USB device overloads or shorts and causes motherboard damage.

Thanks Zero82z and tdg,

I know that any psu can fail and fry the components. What I am wondering is if such a failure did occur, would it also fry EXTERNAL usb devices connected to it only through usb and if I had an external hub, if that would protect peripheral attached to it (because maybe it would fry, but not pass the charge through. tdg seems to answer the question, but are you referring to usb or ethernet when you say 'it' could happen.

Either way, thanks for responding guys. I do appreciate it.

Ah, I see what you mean. When you said distro box, I thought you meant a power distribution box.

Running the drive through a USB hub could protect from a surge. I don't know for sure, but chances are the hub will get fried before anything could happen to the external drive.

Thanks again Zero82z:D

Anyone know where I could look for more info one this? Should I contact a hub manufacturer (which of course will tell me they have never had someone call in with such a question)?

Also, is it true that network drives are not prone to such failures? I would think not, since I have lost many network cards and components after a lightning strike even though my phone lines are grounded and the router was protected by a UPS and a separate surge protector.

I doubt the physical drive itself would be fried by a surge over the network cable, but the circuitry could definitely get damaged.

So basically it would probably be the same as going through the USB hub, I guess. I am surprised there is no info on this, but I guess no news is good news, for if they can get fried this way, there would be someone complaining about it on the net. Anyways, thanks Zaro82z for all your input. I really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
Mario

Back