Question about PSU cables......

magoo

[H]F Junkie
So I bought a new Corsair HXi 1200 PSU, because of a DOA on my older AX 1200 after 5 years.

This new PSU comes with 4 PCI-e flat ribbon cables.
Each cable is the same.
They have 2 PCI-e 6+2 connectors on each cable now, rather than 1 as I am used to.

The PSU is fully modular.

Now....I have SLi two GTX 980Ti GPUs.

Will one cable be able to support the two connections on my GPUs....ie 8+6 pin or should I just run two cables to the GPUs.

These new ones are a pain in the ass.....if I choose to use two cables for each GPU I have this stupid other connector flapping in the breeze getting in the way.

I'm just not sure one cable will be able to handle the load as well as two.

What say you?

Remove second connector and use 2 cables.

But why would you need 1200W for 2 980Ti's? If you had a heavily overclocked 5960X, and 2 kingpin 980ti's, you'd still only need 850W.

And how can something be DOA after 5 years?

My understanding of current received opinion is that the connections themselves are the weak link, not the wire size.

I would say that unless you are clocking the snot out of them you are probably OK.

My V1000 is similarly designed. I run one cable to my GTX 690 with no problems.

Remove second connector and use 2 cables.

But why would you need 1200W for 2 980Ti's? If you had a heavily overclocked 5960X, and 2 kingpin 980ti's, you'd still only need 850W.

And how can something be DOA after 5 years?

My system at full load pulls over 840 watts.
Now you could ask yourself, should I run a 1000W PSU at 85% all the time, or a 1200W PSU at just under 70%?

The AX 1200 died the other day in a plume of blue smoke. You tell me?
I rigged up another PSU that I had as a spare and the system runs fine.

I've had the AX for 5 years running all sorts of combinations of cpu and GPU. Things wear out.

I think what Henri008 meant regarding the "DOA" PSU is that it stands for dead on arrival. If it's been working for 5 years, it can't be DOA.

I think what Henri008 meant regarding the "DOA" PSU is that it stands for dead on arrival. If it's been working for 5 years, it can't be DOA.

80 year old guy arrives at the ER dead.

Yup, he's dead on arrival. But he was alive for 80 years before that.

I'm not playing semantics here, I'm asking for an opinion about a new PCI-e cable that I'm not sure will work on my set-up, or that I have no experience with.

My old PSU is dead, no matter how you look at it....and yes, it was still under Corsair warranty, but it will take almost 2 weeks to turn around the RMA and I need the computer.

I will happily answer any other questions anyone has about the sorted details, but I would really like an opinion about the question at hand.

I sent out a ticket to Corsair.

They are confident that a single "pigtail" cable , as they call it, will be fine.:D

actually,

I am interested in the sordid details as I am running an original AX1200 about that age right here...

actually,

I am interested in the sordid details as I am running an original AX1200 about that age right here...

Well then....a voice in a sea of madness.....

So there I was.
Minding my own business.
I love Metro LastLight Redeux.......about a week ago I started to have an ocassional complete shutdown of the computer.
Nothing new. You can look at the sig.
I thought it was my GPU OC, so I went down a notch. Fine for a few days.

Bought MadMax and started playing it.
No issues.
Then Friday night I started getting very FREQUENT shutdown, no warning. The more I restarted, the quicker it happened.

Shut down and came back an hour later.

Ran AIDA 64 stress tests, CPU,RAM,GPUs all passed with flying colors. Ran Heaven....crashed. Same shut down, no warning.

Tested each GPU individually(have toggle switches on MB) no problems there.

So I fired up the computer and started MadMax and poof.....blue smoke from the PSU and then nothing but burnt electric smell.

Just before death, the Kill-a-Watt read 850W.

1200 AX is now in Corsair's hands in California.

One cable with power one GPU without issue. If it is a single rail unit just plug in each cable and connect to the GPU. If multiple rails, put one GPU on each rail and you're golden.

80 year old guy arrives at the ER dead.

Yup, he's dead on arrival. But he was alive for 80 years before that.

I'm not playing semantics here, I'm asking for an opinion about a new PCI-e cable that I'm not sure will work on my set-up, or that I have no experience with.

My old PSU is dead, no matter how you look at it....and yes, it was still under Corsair warranty, but it will take almost 2 weeks to turn around the RMA and I need the computer.

I will happily answer any other questions anyone has about the sorted details, but I would really like an opinion about the question at hand.

Yeah but your PSU didn't arrive anywhere dead. It was already in your possession for 5 years. Now when you sent it back to EVGA they could claim it was DOA. However, your's just died.

Additionally, your rig pulls 840W under full load? How do you know?

Back