• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about PSU and RX480 crashing

Supra

n00b
Joined
Aug 29, 2016
Messages
6
Hello everyone,

I have just received my first AMD graphic card, a RX480 (in order to replace an old NVIDIA GTX560ti), and when I play a game the computer shutdown after 15 minutes (Witcher 3 or Evolve), without error message from Windows.

Model : Sapphire RX480 NITRO+ OC 4GB
Intel i7 920 / ASUS P6T SE
Corsair VX550 watts
OS : Windows 10 64bits
Driver : Catalyst 16.8.2. EDIT : same problem with 16.7.2

I have tried :
- compatibility mode on drivers => crashing again.
- Display Driver Uninstaller => crashing again
- Windows 10 reinstall => crashing again
- Futurmark (GPU stress) for 40 min, then OCCT PSU stress for 40 min, then OCCT GPU stress for 40 minites => no crash

However I can play games without crashing with GPU clock at 800 mhz.

I wonder if I have to send it back and take another card or if it's a PSU problem. Could you help me ?

Maybe a PSU around 700 watts is necessary for i7 920 + RX480 ? My corsair VX550W may have 4-5 years (don't remember) :
GTX560 ti + i7 920 OC@3.5ghz is stable
RX480 + i7 920 stock restart the PC

Thank you
 
i7 920 + RX480 should be about 600 watts at most, and stock you're looking at around 400 watts. I would RMA the GPU first.
 
Well, PSUs are like cars, in that they loose performance over time. 5 years is about the half-life of a good PSU, but you still should be able to run that set of hardware on an ageing 500w. the RX 480 at 800mz should be running considerably less wattage than a normal 560Ti.
 
Thank you guy.

My PSU is just a bit hot.

I have tested 40 minutes of Furmark (GPU stress 100% !) + prime 95 (CPU stress 100%) at the same time and no crash.

Is it a problem of Radeon drivers ? I remember that the first time I have installed , Evolve was crashing at the laucher menu . After reinstalling Windows 10 64bits, I could lauch it for 5 minutes and Witcher 3 would crash after 10-15 minurtes.
 
Last edited:
the computer shutdown after 15 minutes (Witcher 3 or Evolve), without error message from Windows.

That is classic psu overload shutdown.

Thank you guy.

My PSU is just a bit hot.

I have tested 40 minutes of Furmark (GPU stress 100% !) + prime 95 (CPU stress 100%) at the same time and no crash.

The gpu has a power limit, so it will not be allowed to go above that. Your cpu should have a limiter as well unless you raised/disabled it in your bios. Both those will negate the testing you've done. If you want to test it, raise your power limit on your cpu and raise your powertune on your gpu to +50. If your psu is getting hot hot, it means it is getting worked hard. You don't have a terribly large power load but your psu is on the small side so you are obviously pushing it every time you use it. Also, something to consider is that furmark/prime are generally constant loads so they can be managed by the gpu and cpu's power limiters. Games on the other hand have consistent transient spikes that often vary wildly and if you are already at the limit of your psu's capacity, there is no buffer for the transient spikes and the psu shutsdown, which is what its supposed to do.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Supra
like this
I think that Power Supply is from 2007. This 2016. That is 9 years old.

If you OC that board then get a good seasonic 650-700 watter.
 
I think that Power Supply is from 2007. This 2016. That is 9 years old.

If you OC that board then get a good seasonic 650-700 watter.

Thank you, i will first buy a new PSU.

Seasonic 650W and + are more than 100 € in my country, but with my budget, I can afford :
- an EVGA SuperNOVA 650W GOLD GQ (85 €) ;
- an EVGA SuperNOVA 750W GOLD GQ (93 €) ;
- an Cooler Master G750M 750W Bronze (90 €).

Is the 650W enough for my system : i7 920 OC + RX480 OC ? If it's ok, the EVGA SuperNOVA 650W GOLD GQ is recommended by jonnyguru.

Otherwise, there is EVGA 750 GOLD GQ but reviews are mitigated EVGA 750W GQ Power Supply Review | Final Thoughts and Conclusions or EVGA 750 GQ PSU Verdict - Tom's Hardware ?
 
Last edited:
I would probably go with the EVGA 650 then. Unless you think you are going to add a 2nd card for SLI then go for the EVGA 750.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Supra
like this
i7 920 + RX480 should be about 600 watts at most, and stock you're looking at around 400 watts. I would RMA the GPU first.

May I ask where you're getting 600W from? The model that he got tops out at 225W but is normally less. His CPU is rated at 130W, tested at < 110W at stock, 122W at 3.66ghz.

His total system draw should be under 350W while gaming, hitting near 400W under a ton of stress.

Edit: To the OP, your GPU should have a physical bios toggle. Set it to quiet. That should lower the power requirements. This isn't a fix, just a bandaid until you replace the PSU.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Supra
like this
May I ask where you're getting 600W from? The model that he got tops out at 225W but is normally less. His CPU is rated at 130W, tested at < 110W at stock, 122W at 3.66ghz.

His total system draw should be under 350W while gaming, hitting near 400W under a ton of stress.

Edit: To the OP, your GPU should have a physical bios toggle. Set it to quiet. That should lower the power requirements. This isn't a fix, just a bandaid until you replace the PSU.

Ok, ok I will try that.

Finally, I have bought the EVGA SuperNOVA GQ 750W because it was only a diffrence of 8 €. I hope it will sove my poblem :) !

Thank you guys,
 
Ok, ok I will try that.

Finally, I have bought the EVGA SuperNOVA GQ 750W because it was only a diffrence of 8 €. I hope it will sove my poblem :) !

Thank you guys,


This isn't meant as an insult (and I apologize if it comes across that that way), but I would have went with a higher quality PSU even if lower wattage. Your prior PSU was made by CWT (Channel Well Technologies). They make above average, within spec PSUs. Your new one will be made by FSP who are about the same. Going with a GS (SeaSonic) or G2/P2 (Super Flower) would likely give you less degradation and more longevity. A 550W PSU is more than enough for your system. It's just that your older PSU likely degraded to the point of not being able to handle it. A G2 would give you a solid 7 years (either in functionality, or via warranty replacement if it fails).

But either way, enjoy the new rig. The new PSU will work, and I hope that I didn't come across as implying anything different.
 
May I ask where you're getting 600W from? The model that he got tops out at 225W but is normally less. His CPU is rated at 130W, tested at < 110W at stock, 122W at 3.66ghz.

His total system draw should be under 350W while gaming, hitting near 400W under a ton of stress.

Edit: To the OP, your GPU should have a physical bios toggle. Set it to quiet. That should lower the power requirements. This isn't a fix, just a bandaid until you replace the PSU.

I got 600 watt from overclocked gross overestimates. The x58 chipset alone draws about 40 to 50 watts as I recall, so that needs to be accounted for as well. As I said, stock should be under 400.
 
I got 600 watt from overclocked gross overestimates. The x58 chipset alone draws about 40 to 50 watts as I recall, so that needs to be accounted for as well. As I said, stock should be under 400.

Even overclocking won't get near 600W. Reviews show the 920 hitting under 150W with a 4.0ghz OC. He's not going that high. The Sapphire has a 225W limit without a bios mod. 400W would be the extreme limit on his system as configured.
 
Ha ok. The EVGA 550W GS/G2 are more expensive than the 750W GQ I have bought (at a discount price).

But the EVGA GQ is still a good PSU ???
 
Back
Top