Question About PS3 w/HDMI & Optic

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
My current setup is as follows:

1. PS3 is hooked up to my PC monitor via component cables for video
2. PS3 is hooked up to my PC sound card via optic for 5.1 sound

My current monitor does NOT have HDMI connections.

My question:

If I purchase a new monitor that has HDMI connections can I still use my optic cable for sound running through my sound card while I use the HDMI connection to run to the new monitor for video. Will that work? Or am I forced to run both video and sound through the HDMI connection on the monitor now?

Thanks in advance.

I have a set of Logitech 5.1 Z906 speakers and have my PS3 and PS4 hooked up the same time using the optical inputs on the back of the subwoofer. It all depends on the type of speakers and inputs receiver you have I guess. The same speakers are connected to the PC also using the analog green black orange and pink.

But I know the Z90s are out of most peoples price range I still kinda feel ripped off because I use headphones most of the time now. But use speakers for console because the headphone jack on the PS4 controller sound bad to me.

Generally on the first setup you should be allowed to choose. If not, just go into the settings(System or Audio, maybe even Video) and there should be an option to change it there.

Yes. The ps3 is very good with allowing you to choose which audio and video outputs to use.

I've used my ps3 using hdmi to my monitor (hdmi switch and a dvi to hdmi cable from my switch to my monitor) and using optical out to my 5.1 Tritton AX Pro headset. It worked like a charm.

Yes. The ps3 is very good with allowing you to choose which audio and video outputs to use.

I've used my ps3 using hdmi to my monitor (hdmi switch and a dvi to hdmi cable from my switch to my monitor) and using optical out to my 5.1 Tritton AX Pro headset. It worked like a charm.

Thank you.

What's sad is that the PS3 does a better job of this than the PS4.

What's sad is that the PS3 does a better job of this than the PS4.
My thoughts exactly. You cannot force HDMI sound off on the PS4, so you have to turn the volume on your display down. I also think that you cannot control the output range and decoder with as much control as the PS3 did.

My thoughts exactly. You cannot force HDMI sound off on the PS4, so you have to turn the volume on your display down. I also think that you cannot control the output range and decoder with as much control as the PS3 did.

Yeah, with the PS3 you have the ability to choose different output formats, the frequency, the number of channels, etc.
It's honestly a really good setup.
With the PS4 all of that stuff is handled in the background. Unfortunately, it just tries to auto-detect everything. It sends whatever the highest format your hardware can theoretically handle. If you have a 7.1 receiver but only 5.1 speakers - you're getting 7.1 sound with 2 "dead" channels. If you choose DTS or DD, those formats are applied to everything good or bad. With the PS3, those can be used only when something better isn't available.
The sound is actually a full step backward on the PS4. The Xbox One is a bit better, but it's not necessarily great. The lack of HD bitstreaming was an odd decision.

Back