OK thx. So do I need to add any thermal paste or get a different heatsink or fan? I also have 2 or 3 120mm case fans. Will that be enough for like 3.2ghz
download speedfan. google it. check your temps and get back to us. Orthos prime95 is essential when it comes to overclocking. run that for 10 minutes and let us know your load temps as well.
I have never used Orthos, so I can't speak too much on it, but with the version of prime I link above you will just need to run once instance of it. Make sure you click on Advanced and check Round off checking. The small FFT stress test will get your cpu the hotest so its best to use that when testing an overclock. After running it about 10 mins check your temps and post them here.
Something is not right, with a small fft load your temps should be much higher than at idle. Are you sure the test was running? Did you stop the test before you check the temps?
Have speedfan running while you are running the test and leave the test running for 10min, then record the temps before you stop it.
Those temps are fine. You should still be able to overclock without any issue, however I read a review on your heatsink and you may want to considering getting a performace HS if you plan on overclocking. Yours is decent but you can squeeze more out of your overclock with a better HS.
For price/preformance I recommond the Xigmatek HDT- S1283 (thats what I have) so far it performing great.
However, from what I have read the performance difference is marginal, but the price is ~$20-30 more for the TRUE
Note: Those might not be the cheapest prices for the respective heatsinks, so shop around.
I also recommend getting something like this to make the installing and remove your heatsink easier and for added support LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit
You will probably get mixed opinions on what temps to keep your cpu under. I personally dont feel comfortable with much over 60c at load, however some people are perfectly okay with 65-70c. It really just depends on your concern for the longevity of you cpu, which even that is debated.
Right now I have my Q6600 o/c to 3.2gHz and my idle temps are around 36-37c while load is 54c I plan to push it a little further once I am sure I have the lowest voltage combinations while maintaining stability.
This guide should help you with the process if you aren't familiar with the C2D and Quad Intel CPUs
Ok thx. I have one problem and that is I just bought this PC and I'm all out of money (I'm only 14 and don't have a job). So will this heatsink and fan work that I have now? I plan to OC only to about 3.0-3.2 GHZ because this is my first OC/ gaming computer and I certainly don't want to break it. I will make sure run read the guide and continue to ask questions.
I think you should be fine with what you have if you are planning to rund at 3.0-3.2... if you decide to push it further you may want invests in the Xigmatek since its only around 40 bucks, but I think what you have is fine for at least 3.0.. the majority of people can get 3.0 on a q6600 with the stock cooler. I haven't read up too much on how well your cpu o/c but the quads run hotter and I assume the stock coolers are all the same for the c2d and quad... someone correct me if I am wrong about that. so with most aftermarket coolers you should get at least some performance increase over the stock. ...
ok well I've read the thing and am going to try to OC. Do I really have to go through all those steps just to get up to 3.2 and I do not understand what he is talking about in the last part of it.
Its a tedious process but to ensure you have a stable system with the lowest possible voltage, I would go through the steps. I said the same thing when I tried it the first time, but after doing it the right way, I am glad I did. If you want to just get a little extra out of the CPU without all the steps you should be able to get 3.0 with out really messing with the voltage... at least most people are.
i had an AC freezer pro before i went with my custum pelteir setup..
the trick to that cooler is to get heat away from and tons of airflow blowing across the cooler, i managed to get idle temps in the 30's, overclocked to 3.55GHz with a presler 65nm 930D, i later went pelteir cooled, and also rigged up a huge turbine blower blowing air across the pelteir sink, NB sink, and vid card, it dropped temps 10 degrees across the board!!! with the AC freezer pro, i think i got high 30's idle, high 50's, low 60's under load...i now run at 3.7GHz, and get idle temps in the high teens, and mid 30's under load...