• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about onboard audio...

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
8,069
Okay I have a Biostar mobo with integrated Soundstorm audio.

I was thinking about hooking it up to my home theater system through the optical port. My question is - I don't have any experience with Soundstorm so what exactly do people think of it? Also will hooking it up through the optical port give me surround sound for games that utilize it?
 
I have "soundstorm" now, and if you use the normal analog inputs on the back, it goes through the crappy ALC650 codec from realtek, and will crackle and generally not sound as good as I hear normal cards would. Hipefully I'll find out in a few weeks :rolleyes: .

Anyways, I wish I could use the opt out bec I hear it bypasses the codec all together and runs through a better source making the sound sound great. This would be the only way to use the onboard audio if you were using this generation of boards when soundcards are readily available to buy and sound quality is much improved. I just don't have a amp/system that accepts the digital signal I want, so its Audigy 2 ZS and Logitech Z-2300 time :)

Not really sure about wether or not games would work, but there is an option in NVmixer that will allow you to select the input and allow you to change modes through the driver. So I'd assume it would work. I've tried a 4 spker (analog) setup on it, and while the second set of speakers didnt work without touching anything, using the 4 speakers option works..so there is hope. I'd give it a 97% chance your golden.
 
If you are using optical, it doesn't matter what the card is

UNLESS you care about getting real-time surround through it (ie gaming), in which case you need one of about 4 cards on the market that have this ability.

Fortunately soundstorm is one of those, so you should be good to go.
 
Fryguy8 said:
If you are using optical, it doesn't matter what the card is

UNLESS you care about getting real-time surround through it (ie gaming), in which case you need one of about 4 cards on the market that have this ability.

Fortunately soundstorm is one of those, so you should be good to go.


sweet! this is for an HTPC, and though sound quality is good to have, I don't have the PCI slots to support a sound card (damn mATX boards :mad: )
 
Fryguy8 said:
If you are using optical, it doesn't matter what the card is

UNLESS you care about getting real-time surround through it (ie gaming), in which case you need one of about 4 cards on the market that have this ability.

Fortunately soundstorm is one of those, so you should be good to go.


dammit, turns out I DON'T have soundstorm - just analog surround audio (just AC97 at that)
 
Diamond xtreme has a dolby digital live card. I'm using it in my HTPC. It's like $60.
 
rayman2k2 said:
dammit, turns out I DON'T have soundstorm - just analog surround audio (just AC97 at that)

Yep, very few boards do, the NF7-S being one of them :)
 
Back
Top