• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about old ATA/66 vs SCSI

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
7,280
Hey everyone, I recently acquired an old dual celly system based on Abit's BP6 mobo (socket 370). This hardware is a little bit older than what I'm used to (only got interested in hardware a few years ago), and so I was looking for some information. The board has 4 IDE connectors, 2 that only support ATA/33, and 2 that support ATA/66. According to the manual I can plug SCSI drives into the ATA/66 compatible connectors. The manual refers to these as "IDE3" and "IDE4." I have read elsewhere though that you need a PCI SCSI controller card to actually use a SCSI drive. I have zero SCSI experience but am looking to get what performance I can out of this box. So essentially I'm asking if anyone can provide me with some basic SCSI information, and what I should be looking for in terms of drives for this machine. Thanks much in advance.
 
umm read that manual again. (I have 2 or 3 of these MB's at home)

No it does not say that you can plug SCSI drives into the 66 controllers.

No you can not plug SCSI drives into an IDE controller.

The Highpoint 360 (I think that is what it uses) showes up as a SCSI device in device manager, and it uses "SCSI like" drivers, but it is a IDE controller at heart.

==>Lazn
 
Back
Top