Question about offline files and folders and VPNs

UncleDavid218

2[H]4U
Hey,

Back story:

The culture here at work has always been that if you want something backed up, it needs to be on the network drive.

On the flip side, in my experience, it is a best practice to have documents and desktop redirected to the server in case there are problems with a disk drive in a PC and the data is not stored elsewhere.

Since I do not have the disk space right now to roll this out to everybody company wide, I am getting documents redirected to the server and enabling offline files and folders setup on the highers ups computers (not via GP by the way, I am doing this manually since there are so few - when I do it more widespread it will be via a GPO).

The problem:

One of these higher ups has a 50GB desktop folder and a 10GB documents folder. I moved the target of both to a folder on the server that's segregated from anybody else, and then made them available offline. Great - works good. When he undocks all of his documents are still there.

However the problem is that when he connects to the VPN via the hotspot on his iPhone, his shared network drive is not accessible and says "CSC-Cache" underneath it's description. During this you cannot browse manually to any network resources. But his documents work fine. My guess is that offline files and folders doesn't like something about his documents being located off of the network (bandwidth) and that is causing problems. Thoughts on this? I did clear the cache but to no avail. If you connect via a faster Internet connection things work just fine.

I did adjust settings for slow link mode (http://www.conetrix.com/Blog/post/F...s-and-Mapped-Drives-Unavailable-Over-VPN.aspx) but that doesn't seem to have worked.

What IP/subnet are the machines on when they're offsite?
What IP range/subnet does the VPN use?
What IP/subnet is the server with the shared files?

Is the VPN set up to use split tunneling?

I have a hunch that a route hasn't been added when on the VPN so the machines don't how to reach the server.

What IP/subnet are the machines on when they're offsite?
What IP range/subnet does the VPN use?
What IP/subnet is the server with the shared files?

Is the VPN set up to use split tunneling?

I have a hunch that a route hasn't been added when on the VPN so the machines don't how to reach the server.
This isn't going to answer your routing questions but this only started when offline files and folders was enabled - nothing on the network side has been changed at all.

But with that said, I will review the range and subnet that the machine grabs when on the VPN. Thanks for the tip.

Just so I understand this correctly, before offline files and folders were enabled network resources (wherever they were) were browsable?

Yes that is correct. The config is exactly the same with the only difference being enabling offline files and folders.

We have this issue at work as well. When I get tickets for it, I disable offline files/folders. Much more hassle than its worth.

Back