• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about new 160 Gig HD

Owen

n00b
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
24
I just got a WD 160 gig (8meg cache 7200 rpm) HD to replace my old 60 gig I used as my D: storage drive. I am wondering if it is better to use the 160 gig as my main C: and make my current C: 120 gig (8meg cache 7200 rpm) HD the storage drive? I am running NTFS with WinXP and SP1 and am looking for the least amount of problems since I like to reinstall Windows every few months to clean out all the junk. I did notice that when I used the WD HD Install CD in Dos, it put a limit on the HD at 137 gig till I got into Windows and ran the utility again to regain the full 160 gig. Any info or insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
In my opinion, it doesn't really matter which is your boot (C:\) drive, seeing as the specs on both of them are pretty close. However, if you want to get technical, I would put the most important data on the newer drive, as it hasn't been used as much and probably has more life left in it than a drive that has been used for a while, and theoretically you might be less likely to lose your important data due to a drive going out. But again, it really doesn't matter. Take your pick. :)

You seem to have found the 137 gig partition bug that lots of simi-older hardware has. If you've gotten it to work and recognize the whole 160 gb, then I wouldn't worry about it unless you have problems in the future. However, if you want more information, try reading this post found in the data storage section:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026129864#post1026129864

Good luck :)
 
Thanks for the info. I guess I put this topic in the wrong forum as I did not notice the Disk Storage Systems forum until I followed your link. It looks like from the info I read in the link that it is better to keep the 120 gig as the main C: drive since this 137 gig bug would pop up once again when I reinstall Windows XP since I do not have an intergrated version with SP1. I used to do a cheat clean install in Fat 32 by renaming the Windows, Documents and Setting and Program Files folders so that I can keep the other data still on the drive and then when Windows is done installing, I delete the folders I renamed and reinstall all my games and software. I have not tried it yet since I switched to NTFS on my last install but I am hoping I can use FreeDos to do the same.
 
i usually have the bigger drive as the second drive... better for backup... who needs a 160gb OS drive? my raptor is doing fine on its own with far cry, ut2004, halo, and 2 c&c games on it
 
Why don't you just make the old 60 GB drive the drive for the OS and the new 160 GB for your Data?
 
ComputerBox34 said:
Why don't you just make the old 60 GB drive the drive for the OS and the new 160 GB for your Data?

If at all possible [if not sent to RMA], and the 60GB is a nice drive, I would almost go for that [athough it probably doesn't have the 8MB cache.. tis a toss-up]. I have and 80GB for main.. partitioned into 4 for OS, Files, Program Files folder, and gaming partition. A second 80GB has a 3GB partition on the end for the swap file. [might make room for temp.. not sure] and have a 160GB for whatever.. eventually may put all music/CDs on there. I am in dire need of a good cleanup to get rid of old files I dont need and backup what I do need on CD. Too many New Folders, Temps, multiple copies around.

I build a system for a friend and used a 20GB for C: and a 60GB for secondary. Still need to get back there to switch the swap file to the secondary.
 
Back
Top