Question about networking, DSL and phone jacks...

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I have 2 phone lines coming into my house. Verizon DSL is one one of them.

I am running new network cables in my house for a new network. What are the chances of me consolidating both phone lines to a single jack? How would the DSL work? Would I then have to install filters on ALL jacks other than the one that the DSL modem is going to be hooked up to?

Thanks!

if you are runnning your DSL and phone lines over the same cable then you will need filters on all your non DSL lines.

Yes it's Do-able.

Easiest way to do this is at the phone line distribution point inside the house. Split off the line to the DSL modem and then put 1 filter on the feed to be split to the rest of the house. Saves clutter of filters hanging off of every outlet.

Yes it's Do-able.

Easiest way to do this is at the phone line distribution point inside the house. Split off the line to the DSL modem and then put 1 filter on the feed to be split to the rest of the house. Saves clutter of filters hanging off of every outlet.

Yep, thats what I did. Makes everything easier.

You should get a DSL Splitter. It mounts next to your telco NID. You have a home run going to your DSL modem, a cable going to the rest of your phone jacks, and a cable coming in from the NID. That's the best way to do it.
Regardless of what you do, each line has to be on it's own pair. If it were me I would use the splitter and make things easier.

Back