Question about network (media server w/2 nics)

NEODARK

Gawd
Hey guys,

I have a question that maybe you guys can help with. Now bow to my awesome paint skills: :p

network.gif

All computers are on the LAN and have access to the shares in the media server via the local workgroup.

All IP's are statically asigned, 192.168.1.xxx and so on. Now, here is the question, my media server has dual nic's. One of them is a Gigabit (currently using) and one a standard 10/100 (unused).

Is there a way that I can use both nics on the media server to separate my LAN from the internet and not have to use 2 nics on every pc? (as in using the 10/100 nic for internet and the gigabit nic for LAN only on media server?) Is there a benefit?

Already have strong passwords/user accounts for the shares, software firewals, the NAT and AV. Im just thinking of doing this for extra security, so that LAN and internet are separate on this box with shares if possible.

It kinda sounds like you want to work with backchanneling. With more than one PC, this can be quite crazy. :)

Otherwise, then maybe you want to put your "media server" between the router and PCs? I'm not completely clear on what you want to accomplish I guess.

Back