Question about multi-power connector video cards

forsberg78

Weaksauce
I was watching a video on youtube from tjharlow on his Antec 1200 gaming rig build (link I think is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQGOmu1icW4 not sure because youtube is blocked at work), and when he was describing about connecting the PSU to his video card, he said don't use the two cables coming out from the PSU (the ones that cannot be unplugged from the PSU) to plug into the two connectors on the video card. Instead, he said to use only one cable from the PSU, and for the other use a cable to connect the PSU and the video card. The reason he did this was he said something about different rails.... which i didn't quite understand. I always thought power was just power.

Can anybody shed more light on this?

Each 12 volt rail in a power supply is cappable of producing a specified amperage. It you were to use a pair of connectors that both fed off of the same rail then you might be drawing more current off that rail than it could supply.

Each 12 volt rail in a power supply is cappable of producing a specified amperage. It you were to use a pair of connectors that both fed off of the same rail then you might be drawing more current off that rail than it could supply.

How do I know which cables belong to the same rail?

This is why I think PC Power and Cooling's single rail design is good.

Read the manual.

Awesome post, you managed to answer his question a full 15 minutes b4 he asked it. I am impressed. :p

The [H]ardforum seems to be having a bit of a problem with time. I have noticed it in a few other threads as well. Prolly be fixed later on. :D

so single rail psus dont suffer from this? I won't have to worry with my new corsair tx650?

Back