Question About Microsoft Outlook (2003) Contacts Entries

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for some time because it was the only email/PIM software that would correctly sync with my HP Jornada 720. However, I've recently discovered some other software that can allow Thunderbird and Evolution to sync with my Jornada without needing ActiveSync (yay!).

However, one of the features I really like about Outlook 2003 is that the entries in the contacts support pictures/icons. For example, the contact entry for my brother has his picture attached to it. While this seems useless to most folks, I use it for rapid sorting of my contacts (I've got about 1500 contacts entries, all with pictures) to find the one I need.

I'd like to migrate away from Outlook (and MS Office in general) so that I can have my data stored in open standards formats that are more easily migratable between *nix/Windows/etc. Hence, my desire to move to Evolution or Thunderbird.

Does Thunderbird/Evolution/etc support this contact entry format? If I migrate to Evolution/Thunderbird, will I have to lose all of the pictures?

I've googled a bit on this and the results I've turned up only talk about Outlook supporting this feature, not whether or not other PIM softwares do.

thanks in advance!

Back