Question about memory QVL

No you don't have to go with RAM on the OVL list. That G.Skill RAM should work just fine.

I have definitely had compatibility problems when I bought RAM that wasn't on the QVL. It's not that it necessarily won't work; it's that it won't necessarily work and the RAM and mobo manufacturers will not help you make it work--they'll simply say, "sorry, not on the QVL."

-- from first-hand experience with Giga-Byte, MSI, Mushkin and G.Skill

The chances of it being incompatible are near zip. I have built dozens of computers with memory not found on the QVL (most of them actually worked). I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

I have definitely had compatibility problems when I bought RAM that wasn't on the QVL. It's not that it necessarily won't work; it's that it won't necessarily work and the RAM and mobo manufacturers will not help you make it work--they'll simply say, "sorry, not on the QVL."

-- from first-hand experience with Giga-Byte, MSI, Mushkin and G.Skill
Way back when AMD processors started using DDR2 memory, I bought an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe and some high dollar G.Skill memory that ended up not working with it. I found G.Skill customer service and tech support to be very helpful. G.Skill ended up replacing the memory with another model that worked perfectly (and was more expensive). I don't know whether they would do the same today or not, but they definitely earned a satisfied and loyal customer.

@Ziming,

I doubt you will have any problems, but with it not being on the QVL, Asus would likely not help.

If you plan on populating all of the memory slots, I would make sure that the memory is not only on the QVL, but has been tested and confirmed to operate at the correct speed with all slots full.

If you are only going to use two slots, then I would not worry about it.

QVLs are almost always outdated. IMO, the best idea, and as noted especially in the case of running 4 modules, be sure to get memory that has either validated by the MOBO maker or by the RAM manufacturer in that specific board.

Back