Question about memory interface

twyztyr

Gawd
What is the real-world difference between 256-bit and 128-bit interfaces if all other things are close to equal? I'm looking to make a minor upgrade and I've found several 128MB cards with a 256-bit interface, 256MB cards with a 128-bit interface, and 256MB cards with a 256-bit interface. Do you get better performance with more memory or a wider interface?

AFAIK

128 bit 128mb is 20% slower than 256bit 128mb

More ram on a card does not = more performance

a 256bit 128mb is better performance than a 128bit 256mb

Could you tell us what cores you are looking at? (x800, 6600, etc.)

I haven't really figured out what I'm looking for, which is why I had that question.

As I'm looking for AGP right now, I've seen the 6600s, the 6800GSs, the X800/Pros, and each one is radically different from one another and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at. I'm not a hardline need-to-squeeze-every-last-frame-out-of-my-games-run-my-shit-100%-maxed-on-all-settings kind of guy, but I want something that'll last me another couple of months before I'm ready to drop a bundle on a brand new rig.

I'm running an overclocked 5900XT (I can't recall offhand how much of an OC though) so I know that pretty much any of these things would be an improvement. I'm more or less happy with what I've got, I've just been noticing some newer games have started getting choppy at higher resolutions.

I figured that the wider the interface, the better the performance, but I wasn't sure how it translated to practical application.

Back