Question about Loop maintenance

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've had my distilled water running a kill coil for about a year now. Fluid still seems to be the same color (didn't think it would change). It runs in a basement with no sunlight whatsoever. No coloring has been added to the fluid and the tubing is black and not transparent.

I'm about to add another pump and a dual pump top, another radiator, and another GPU block, and mobo blocks (for 3 rads total, 1 CPU block, 4 GPU blocks, and a vreg block and chipset block).

Before I tear the loop apart, how much "cleaning / rinsing" should I do? Do I need to boil water a flush my radiators? Do I need to take apart my GPU blocks and clean them? I've heard of using some type of household cleaner to clean "o-rings" and other seals but I thought I would ask.

I assumed with my fluid and conditions that I wouldn't need to clean the system each year?

You should flush a radiator before use, not after. My last loop had nothing but deionized water and a few drops of copper sulfate, still clear on the last day before upgrading as it was three years prior when I put it together, and I don't plan on opening the loop again until the next upgrade, and even then it will only be to drain, swap components, and reassemble, no cleaning, etc.

I flushed them before I put the in the loop so from what it sounds like I should be good for a while.

I've never flushed my loop, which runs distilled and a silver killcoil. The only time the fluids are swapped is when I change components. At that point, it's just simply replacing old water with new water.

if you're running pure distilled and a kill coil you shouldn't have to do anything special, just don't leave wet tubes/blocks sitting around too long. I left my old tubing sitting around overnight and it blossomed and turned green because I didn't dry it out.

Back