Question about Libraries and DRM

Ingonuts13

[H]ard|Gawd
I cannot get an answer to this question anywhere and was really hoping that The [H] would be able to help.

Here is my current set up that allows my wife and I to have completely independent libraries and ratings, but use the same files:

-Shared folder with MP3s on a network drive.
-Two PCs, each with it's own Ipod associated to it with individual libraries but all pointing to the same network share for MP3 Files.
-Each PC is using the SAME Itunes account for downloads.
-Each account has it's own library folder also on a network share.

Now to my question(s)/problem with downloaded content:

(1) Is there any way to have a file that is downloaded from Itunes be automatically placed in a shared location accessible to both Libraries? (Say if I download the latest Jack Johnson album, can it automatically show up in my wife's library and vice versa?)

(2) Is there any way to share the album artwork versus having two copies of everything(one for each library)?

So my goal is to have two libraries with a central location for ALL files, including anything downloaded from Itunes by each individual user. Is this possible?

Windows media player does this. We use it at my dad's. WMP11 automatically finds shared media on your local network and asks if you want to link. I've only played when it when I was at my dad's over Christmas holidays when I was visiting, but it's really neat.

Start up WMP11, notifies me that it finds other media files. Click a few prompts and I then have my dad's computer, my step-mother's computer, all computers on the internal network. Access to all of the media indexed in their respective WMP11's. It's really neat.

ok...edit: Sorry, I was clicked on this thread via the new posts feature on the top bar and didn't realize it was a Mac/Apple thread :(

I shouldn't even be in this forum...but hmm some other thoughts on your item number 1.

I don't know how this works on Macs.
But what if you created a network share on your computer, your music folder. Direct your Itunes to download all music to that folder.

On your wife's computer, set her Itunes to use that shared folder \\your_computer\music\ as it's download and media library folder.

Thanks for the response, but I do not think you can answer this question without having hands on knowledge of the hardware and software I am talking about.

Hope someone comes along that can help. :(

I tried getting this to work a few months ago, and didn't get it working. At the time (because I was on a Dell) I just went over to Media Player. Now that I have a new MacBook I am in the same situation as you are - if you find a resolution, please post it here.

It seems like there really is not a good resolution to this problem. I'll post something if I do ever figure it out after tinkering around a bit.

Back