• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about laptop graphic cards

Redrum123

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
66
Hello, this is my first post here at [H] although I am familiar with [M] : ). Anyways I had a question for you guys.

I need to know if there are any ATI Radeon 9800 pro or xt MOBILE cards that would fit inside a toshiba satellite laptop. I have a geforce 440 4 go and it just doesnt cut it anymore for me. Instead of buying a new comp, can my laptop get a new mobile graphics card?

BTW I know that you have to go to the place you bought it for them to upgrade, Im just wondering if you CAN upgrade to the ATI realm.

Much thanks : )
 
i know there is a 9700 mobility, i tihink thats the fastest card available from ati, dont know where to get it tho
 
I believe the graphics chipset for that laptop is soldered to the board. It's not a "card" like Alienware's graphics for laptops. You'll have a very hard time upgrading it, and youl'l have to account for the extra heat that a new chipset would produce.
 
I think future laptops will have pop-out video cards, but that's a ways off. The new high end Dell gaming laptop has replacable cards. Otherwise your stuck with what you have. Though, you never know, I remember some time back 2 years ago when I was going to get a dell some people were able to buy 7500 radeon mobiles and replace their old card. So it wouldn't hurt to check out what options you have with your laptop.

The mobile 9700 card is the fastest, and might compare mostly to a 9600XT, not a desktop 9700.

Some of the newer cards might be a PCIe type interface.
 
On my Dell i8200 I can pop out the GeForce 4Go 440 64MB and pop in a mobility 9000.
Why dont you upgrade to laptop with an X600.
 
because the x800 is a huge chunk of unneccassary money wasting material (not that I wouldnt kill for one : )
 
No, you won't be able to upgrade the graphics card in your current Toshiba.

Current rumors on upcoming graphics cards have the 8-pipeline AGP M18, possibly called the Mobile 9800 coming out as early as August or by September/October at the latest. I think this is a reasonable possibilty, but you never know about the dates. It could be pushed back to Q4.

Juicier rumors mention an M28 PCI-Express with up to 16-pipelines (Mobile X800?) due out near the end of Q3/beginning of Q4 only for big desktop replacements. This one consumes so much power that it would only be available in heavy desktop replacement P4 or A64 systems (like Sagers or Dell XPS/9100).

The M24/Mobile X600 which is a confirmed real product, is basically a PCI-E update of the Mobile 9600/9700 4-pipeline GPU and should be out in the next month or two. There is speculation about an 8-pipline M26 due out by the end of the year for use in mid-range P-M performance machines that can't handle the M28 power requirement. If notebook makers really start using modular PCI-E or AXIOM graphics cards, I think you should be able to swap an X600 for the M26 when it comes out.

On the Nvidia side of things, they will probably release a 12 or 16-pipe NV41M to compete with the M28 in the desktop replacement market, and a 8-pipeline NV43M to counter ATI's M18 and M26.

Upcoming Mobile GPU speculation

I'm not sure how much of this is true, but I'm guessing at the very least we'll see an 8-pipeline mobile GPU in the 9800 class by the end of the year.
 
I'm pretty sure that if you could get your hands on a 9700 chip that you could upgrade your laptop to it. It will probably take some work, but then again how does it get in there in the first place? Not positive, but maybe. the 9700 card is awsome. Runs farcry for me at 1400x1050(my screen's optimal resolution, aka the highest res. I can get it without having part of the game run off the screen) without hardly ever slowing down.
 
Back
Top