Question about Installing SI-128

wtburnette

2[H]4U
I just got a Thermalright SI-128 and a Coolermaster 120mm LED fan. Before installing them on my Asus P5B Deluxe, I had a couple of questions:

1) Like other Thermalright HS's, does the fan mount to blow down onto the HS? I'm pretty sure that's the way, but I don't see anything in the instructions, or on their site. I've used a few of their coolers and they were all this way, but I thought I'd double check before making an assumption.

2) In the pic on the install guide, it looks like the cooler should be mounted so the heatpipes are right next to the rear case fan. Is this correct? Again, I'm assuming it is as it makes the most sense, but I figured verification couldn't hurt.

Thanks for any assistance... ;)

responses in bold

wtburnette said:
I just got a Thermalright SI-128 and a Coolermaster 120mm LED fan. Before installing them on my Asus P5B Deluxe, I had a couple of questions:

1) Like other Thermalright HS's, does the fan mount to blow down onto the HS? I'm pretty sure that's the way, but I don't see anything in the instructions, or on their site. I've used a few of their coolers and they were all this way, but I thought I'd double check before making an assumption.

yes

2) In the pic on the install guide, it looks like the cooler should be mounted so the heatpipes are right next to the rear case fan. Is this correct? Again, I'm assuming it is as it makes the most sense, but I figured verification couldn't hurt.

Shouldn't really matter, unless theres something preventing you from mounting it one way. Theorhetically, the cooler should be mounted so the heatpipes are vertical (your case on its side), so :/

Thanks for any assistance... ;)

So the heatpipes should be mounted so that they're closest to the PSU, not the back case fan?

wtburnette said:
So the heatpipes should be mounted so that they're closest to the PSU, not the back case fan?
I would actually have the heatpipes sitting over the RAM. I have my Thermalright SP-97 set up like so and this gives the voltage regulators some needed air.

Well, I ended up installing it so the heatpipes are up next to the PSU. So far, so good. The temps have gone from 64/65C at load @ 2.6Ghz to 50/51C at load. Nice little drop. So far, I have the system laying on it's side testing, as installing the HSF was a nightmare and the little push pins kept popping back up. I was really paranoid, but it seems like I finally have it secure. Just freaking out that it may pop out on one corner and fry my CPU... :(

Bummer is, I had the system booted up @ 3.2Ghz, but 3DMark05 dies on the last test. I could probably tweak it to the point where it'd be stable, but I'm trying to find the right balance between speed and heat. Running 50/51C at load is pretty good, so I'm thinking I'm going to continue testing @ 2.6Ghz and make sure it's completely stable. At this speed, I'm running undervolted at 1.275V. Dropping it to that from default dropped the temps nicely with the stock HSF. I'm not sure I want to up the VCORE and have it produce that much more heat. I need to play around and see what I want to end up doing.

Well, I decided to go ahead and push 3.2Ghz and get it stable... and I did! All I had to do was up the VCORE to 1.3V and it was up and running fine. My temps stay under 60C (58C) at load and it runs Sandra, 3DMark05 and a couple hours of prime95 just fine... :D

Not yet. I'll need to take some tonight while I'm installing the soundcard back into the systsem. I'm just praying the Audigy 2 ZS doesn't cause any instability to the system!

Which chip did you say you were using. You said you had the P5B but you did not mention what processor. E6300, 6400 or 6600 or did you get an X series?

Back