Question About Installing Memory (DIMM Sockets)

xenithon

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
68
Just a quick question regarding installation of the RAM modules in my Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4: I have 2x1GB Kingston Valueram DDR2 memory which I want to run in dual channel. The manual says I should install it in either DIMM1/DIMM2 or in DIMM3/DIMM4. It says though that if there are only two modules, they suggest installing in DIMM1/DIMM2.

I have a Scythe Ninja Rev. B cooler (imported a while ago as they are not available locally, before I knew which mobo I would end up with). Due to its size, I think it will touch the RAM modules if in DIMM1/DIMM2. Is there anything detrimental to the mobo or to the speed of the system if I install the RAM in DIMM3/DIMM4 instead, to avoid the heatsink touching the modules?

Cheers,
X

PS. my mobo is Rev. 1.0. I am not sure if this problem occurs only in this revision or also in Rev. 1.1.
 
I don't think you will notice any issues by using dimm3/4 and leaving 1/2 empty.
 
Normally they are installed in channels 1 & 3, if there is another set they would go in channels 2 & 4. I honestly don't know if or how much of a speed difference there will be. I am pretty interested to see if and what the difference is so I'll be watching this thread. Good question :).
 
Hi there....I thought so too but alas, not quite true. These new Gigabyte boards have the DIMM sockets for dual channel next to each other instead of alternating, as you can see in this photo:

GA-M57SLI-S4.jpg
 
I don't think it matters, what matters here is th make sure you put 2 sticks on the slots with the same color. On my BadAxe2, the slots was alternating between blue and black on the 4 slots so I should install in 1/3 or 2/4 for dual channel.
 
Hope so too :)

As mentioned, the manual has a matrix of which sockets to put the modules in to achieve dual channel, which looks like this:
Code:
# of Modules      DIMM1     DIMM2     DIMM3     DIMM4
        2           M         M         -         -
        2           -         -         M         M
        4           M         M         M         M

Then at the bottom it has a small smiley face saying: "Note, if only 2 modules are used we suggest installing them in socket DDRII_1 and DDRII_2"
 
Back
Top