• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about i7 heatsink

badz24

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
1,158
I need to test a stock i7 920 heatsink against some aftermarket heatsinks. But unfortunately i don't have one. Does anyone know if it is the same model as a q6600 or a q9200 heatsink?
 
I don't think the stock q6600 or q9200 will fit a 920 lga1336 socket. Different holes.
 
It won't fit unless you have a MOBO that has holes for both cooling solutions. However, I would caution against using a 775 cooler on the i7s. I love mine, but I am not going to deny they get hot, very hot.

I'd really recommend you get an aftermarket cooler designed for 1366.
 
huh? All coolers that are "designed" for 1366 came directly from 775 platform, the only changed was mounting mechanism, so there's really no difference in thermal dissipation b/n them.
 
It won't fit unless you have a MOBO that has holes for both cooling solutions. However, I would caution against using a 775 cooler on the i7s. I love mine, but I am not going to deny they get hot, very hot.

I'd really recommend you get an aftermarket cooler designed for 1366.

I don't think you read my full post. I have aftermarket coolers, infact I have a bunch of them (cooler master v10, v8, thermalright axp-140, true black with 1366 brackets, noctua's NH-U12p SE1366, NH-C12P, NH-U12P, and NH-U9P). I just don't have a stock cooler to compare them too. I was wondering if they changed at all from the 775 to 1366. I forgot to consider the difference in the size of the mounting holes of course.

Thanks for the help guys! Also if anyone has an i7 heatsink laying around that would like to get rid of it please feel free to PM me.
 
Back
Top