Question about Gigibit card

FrostBite

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm interested in buying a gigibit lan card when I go laning, so I asked a few people and they have told me to get something front a well known brand because quality does matter or it's going to eat up my system resources. Is this true?

I was thinking of getting something from ASUS and Intel since I have an ASUS p4pe (non gigibit :( ), or something from Intel with my P4. So far I couldn't find an ASUS brand at less than 30, but found the "Intel 8245 Chipset Gigabit 10/100/1000 Network Card" for 23. What does the "Intel 8245 Chipset" mean, and do I need some kind of requirements to run this? Would it just work if I just plugged it in, and installed the drivers?

Sorry, don't know much, hoping someone can spare a momment to tell me :D

intel, netgear, 3comm

out of all intel would probably be the top, 3comm's drivers are kinda flaky(for me at least) and they didn't want to install. netgear, well never had a problem with any of them

Not too many LAN's bring gigabit to the workstations, are you sure this is going to benefit you? I second J's recommendation. You can get the Intel MT's >$40, certainly worth it.

really, not many lans do? Was just at one 2 days ago (sat), and while everyone was zooming by with 3 minutes downloads I was stuck waiting 30 minutes!

FrostBite said:
really, not many lans do? Was just at one 2 days ago (sat), and while everyone was zooming by with 3 minutes downloads I was stuck waiting 30 minutes!

well, not many tells me there are some out there, you found one, contrats

however they are few and far between,

Back