Question about formatting with a partitioned harddrive

cr3do

Limp Gawd
Ok so my hard drive is split in 2 partitions and i wanted to format my computer but i have alot to back up so is it possible to only format one partition without affecting the other one.

You most certainly can. That is the idea behind partitions. They are separate as far as the OS is concerned. Move all the data you wish to backup to the other partition and format the new one and it will leave the data on the second partition untouched allowing you to easily restore it.

Good luck. ;)

yes you can format a partition without effecting other partitions...

Alright because i have a friend who says i might lose what i have on the other partition. Cause i have my hdd split in two c:/ and f:/ so since most of my files r on my f:/ if i try to format the c:/ all my files on the f:/ will be there i just cant access them. SO i will bassicly lose them.

cr3do said:
Alright because i have a friend who says i might lose what i have on the other partition. Cause i have my hdd split in two c:/ and f:/ so since most of my files r on my f:/ if i try to format the c:/ all my files on the f:/ will be there i just cant access them. SO i will bassicly lose them.

If your F: drive was encrypted I could see you losing access to all your files. Otherwise they will still be in good shape.

Think of 2 partitions as 2 different hard drives. Because that's how your computer sees it. Changing one won't change the other.

hmm alright ill take u guys word for it lol post back, when everyhting is done and formatted.

Back