Question about Fallout

Boostage

Limp Gawd
FO3 looks pretty nice. but I have never played any of the games, would I be missing anything if I start with 3, or should I start from the first game? are the stories linked together or is it like Silent hill where its all separate stories in each game?

no, the stories are seperate.

I never played FO 1 or 2 and I enjoyed Fo3 very much

Yeah, FO3 is great. I still actually prefer the original two for the humor and pop culture references that seem to be sadly lacking in FO3. :(

Yea, if I had the choice of playing the first two or the third game, I'd deny my inner eye-candy lover and go for the first two; I mean, who wouldn't want to experience shooting a guy in the groin with the Bozar?

You can play Fallout 3 without having played the originals. However, as some people have said, you will miss out on some of the background story and humor.

You can always do a search on Wikipedia about Fallout 1 & 2 and read the synopsis. I would recommend you do that since it will give you a better understanding of the Fallout mythology.

FO3 looks pretty nice. but I have never played any of the games, would I be missing anything if I start with 3, or should I start from the first game? are the stories linked together or is it like Silent hill where its all separate stories in each game?

I never played the first two and I don't feel I'm missing anything, while playing Fallout 3. It's a game on its own, with obvious connections to the "universe" set in the first two games. There are many things from the previous two games, that are in Fallout 3 (and I know that because I read about it), but you definitely don't need to play the first two, to get in the game.

I never played the first two and I don't feel I'm missing anything, while playing Fallout 3. It's a game on its own, with obvious connections to the "universe" set in the first two games. There are many things from the previous two games, that are in Fallout 3 (and I know that because I read about it), but you definitely don't need to play the first two, to get in the game.
That's basically how I feel about the game.

P.S. - It's easily GotY material.

I tried or am trying the first one but it is hard to get used to the view point, over the shoulder is the furthest from first person i am willing to go really.

Yeah. You can definitely play FO3 by itself and not miss a whole lot of enjoyment. The connection between FO3 and FO1&2 is pretty tenuous, i think by design.

Good call by the devs, as it helped defuse some of the more vocal "old schoolers" (of which i am one) from beating up the game too much. :D

I'll say it again: it wasn't the game i wanted them to make, but that doesn't mean it's not a great game on it's own merits.

That being said, i would still recommend buying and playing the first ones. They are el cheapo on GoG, and they hold up pretty well even now. I still play through both about once a year, they are that good. ;)

I just went on Wikipedia and caught up on my Fallout lore. FO3 is an absolute blast to play. At first I thought it sucked but once I let myself be open to the format, I was blown away by the gameplay and story.

I have to say one thing though, the main quest line was a bit weak. The side quests in this game more than make up for it.

Have fun Mungo's!

Back