• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question About Driver Settings (8800 Series)

TheDepths

n00b
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Messages
34
I'm confused on one particular thing about AA/AF settings, so could someone help me out?

When you set the AA/AF via the nVidia icon (right-click and set to High Quality and 4xAA/16xAF) do those settings take precedence over in-game settings?

Is that actually forcing the AA/AF to run at those settings even if you're not using Override in the control panel?

I just use the slider in the actual control panel set to Quality, but set the AA/AF through the nVidia icon and want to be sure that's actually doing anything.

Cheers.
 
Why do you change it there with the icon? Why not figure out the settings you want per game, and make the settings saved with the games profile?

If you change with the icon, it affects all games, and applies the settings to the "global" settings. Anything in global settings that is set to override the application will do so. Setting AF in the tray icon does this. I don't see an option to change the AA from the tray though.. how are you doing this?
 
I don't generally change things per game unless necessary, as those are the lowest settings I prefer to run when possible, 4xAA/16xAF.
I also don't like bothering with game profiles. I just set everything in-game as well.

I don't have anything "set" to Override, but if you're saying that it does work just as Override does, then I don't understand, because in order to use Override you have to turn off all in-game AA/AF, which I don't do.

AA is right there under "Performance and Quality Settings". Maybe it's the card/driver you're using? I'm running an 8800 GTX and actually just bumped up drivers from 158 to 162, and it's now offering AA up to 8x through this method, and it only goes up to 4x with the previous driver.

I don't use the actual "Override" setting because that method does not work with all game apps, so doing things this way couldn't be acting as such.

But if by "global" you mean it is applying these settings to every game, then the question I'm looking to have answered is whether or not if I set anything in-game that's lower/higher, which will actually determine the settings (settings things via the taskbar icon).

There are a plethora of nVidia users here, so can anyone really clarify this for me please?
I'd appreciate it. Simple question, really, but I'm not totally clear on this with nVidia's drivers.

Cheers.
 
I would like to know this too, because I set a game profile for STALKER to have 4xAA and I don't have any AA in the game? :confused:
 
Ok, I've figured it out, for those who don't know and want/need to:

Setting AA/AF via right-clicking the taskbar icon does absolutely nothing no it's own.

Tested it by turning off AA/AF in-game and using AA/AF set via the icon, and it did nothing.

Then I left the in-game settings off and used Override, and that worked fine.

So, there's really only two choices for settings: use Override to set AA/AF (and hopefully most games will allow Override) just make sure you have AA/AF turned off in the in-game settings.

Or, use the slider in the control panel set to Quality and use the in-game AA/AF offered.
 
Back
Top