question about DNS in windows active directory

goodcooper

[H]F Junkie
i've set up active directory across multiple sites...

so i have a network A and a network B

network A has the primary DC (first DC) and a secondary (both running DNS)

network B has 2 secondaries (both running DNS) that were joined to the domain via persistently connected VPN (untangle boxes at each location)

i'm finding that from network B i can resolve names for all of the resources on network A (member servers, etc) yet on network A, i cannot resolve name for a member server i just set up in network B...

so do the records from all of the DNS servers not autoreplicate to the rest of the DNS servers in the domain?

It is always best practice to add the DNS records to your primary DNS server and allow the changes to replicate down. Depending on how your DNS zones are setup changes made to a secondary DNS server may never replicate back to the primary.

It is always best practice to add the DNS records to your primary DNS server and allow the changes to replicate down. Depending on how your DNS zones are setup changes made to a secondary DNS server may never replicate back to the primary.

that's what a friend was telling me, but i havn't been really "adding" the records to the secondaries even, it's just been happening automatically on domain join...

also, i'm just assuming my first domain controller is my "primary" DNS server, how can i actually tell what the hirarchy is of my DNS servers to see how that should work?

Back