Question about diskless client...

Crazy Larry

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking of getting a P35 mobo for my next boxen. These boards don't have onboard graphics so, my question is:

Do you have to have a video card to run the diskless client? I have a card I can use to verify the overclock, set up the client, etc. but I don't want to keep it in there.

I'm wondering that myself... Depends on the BIOS I guess. Would save a little power and you don't have to buy a card that won't ever get used.

I have no qualms managing a box from a serial interface. ;)

EDIT: Looks like you can remove the video card after it's all setup and disable the "halt on errors" in bios:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=436219

ghettocomp said:
there is a setting in bios, where it can set to "halt on no errors" that bypasses nearly everything. Has worked on everything I tested it on, with the exception of some really old motherboards. some boards with built in video will allow the video to be shut off.

Check out this site: http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/

You can boot a very small Linux operating system (from a USB stick) that pretty much does nothing but fold. As long as your BIOS will boot a USB device you should be fine.

I've had the best results using two USB sticks simultaneously--one to boot the system, the other to store the work files, in the event of a restart. (I had some trouble with just one USB stick plugged in on one of my boxes in terms of saving the work files locally there). They can be really small sticks like 64MB sticks (if you can even find them that small). No hard drive, optical drive, video card, or monitor is needed. It requires a wired ethernet connection (no wireless).

In terms of monitoring your folding client(s), the OS outputs the RAMdisk created by the USB stick to your Windows Home Network (My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Diskless > Fold98-eh)--for example. So you can point a monitoring program like FAHmon at it from a different Windows computer that's on the same router as your diskless-headless box. Additionally the OS broadcasts your folding folder, with logs, to an IP address, so you can check on your folding progress from anywhere with an Internet connection, if your router does not support VPN.

It's really well done work.

That answered my question...it says right on the site that you dont need a video card. Thanks!

I have a vid card so I can get into the BIOS and OC, then I remove the card and start it up.

Back