Question about Crossfire @ 1920x1080

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,230
ok going to be getting my video card soon and im not sure what to do. I was going to crossfire but someone said that x2 5850's are a bit much for 1920x1080 Res wich it might or might not be and was told to grab a single 5870 instead.

what do you think x2 5850's or x1 5870. I would grab a 5970 but the price tag of the XFX version is 712 dollars.
 
ok going to be getting my video card soon and im not sure what to do. I was going to crossfire but someone said that x2 5850's are a bit much for 1920x1080 Res wich it might or might not be and was told to grab a single 5870 instead.

what do you think x2 5850's or x1 5870. I would grab a 5970 but the price tag of the XFX version is 712 dollars.

Getting a Sapphire/Asus 5970 is not an option?
 
First of all, I see you have an i5 750, are you overclocking it? Second, are you planning on keeping this system for a year or more?

Right now with most games out there dual 5850's are overkill on 1080p. However, if I had your system I would first of all overclock because your not going to get the full benefit of any of those setups you listed without some overclocking.

Second you have to decide how long its going to be before you invest in another video card. Personally I would get a 5870 right as it will only take up one slot and if games get a bit harsh for your system add a second one later. Its not to hard to drive 1080p with a 5870 for most current games, but in 6 months+ you might find yourself wanting a little more.
 
at the moment a 5970 is not an option due to lack of Quantity. i want to finish this build on tuesday. also im not a fan of sapphire. XFX is top dawg and the warranty is superb. yeah im going to overclock im waiting for my cooler master hyper 212 plus to show up from newegg.
 
I had this very dilemma. I went dual XFX 5850's...in a mATX LanGear Cube...with a 1kW PSU...

I'm considering selling the 5850's to go for a 5970, but it would have to be XFX...maybe I keep one 5850 and have 3x 5850 GPUs....then swap the 5850 for 5970 CrossfireX.... hrmm...
 
This is similar to my dilemma. I'm looking to build a completely new system in the next 1-2 months and I'm stuck between going with 2x5850 or 2x5870 or waiting for GF100 to launch and either getting SLI GF100's or cheaper 2x5850/5870 or 2xrefresh of 58XX. I'm planning on getting the i7-920 and overclocking it.

I'm looking for longevity, I don't want to upgrade for 3 or so years (look at my current system in my sig). For example, 2x5870 might be overkill now for 1080p, but in 1+ years, it would probably worth the extra money now.
 
Last edited:
ive decided not to crossfire. I build a new rig that has one slot for 1 gpu. im opting in for a single 5870 then once nvidia releases there card if it beats my 5870 ill sell it and buy the new nvidia card.

for now im buying a single 5870
 
Back
Top