• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

question about cpu voltage and o/cing

supremeone

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 17, 2007
Messages
141
Okay i'm on a gigabyte ds3l mobo, and have a e2160 cpu being cooled by a xigamatech cooler. Temperatures are usually at 45-50c at mild load. Very pleased with this cooling because before i was on stock cooling with push pins barely on, and had like 77c+ temperatures ;O. Pc was at 1.8ghz but i increased the fsb without increasing any voltage, and got it up to 2.4ghz. I want to increase it to 3ghz but i'm a little confused.

I was looking at the one guide before, and i remember it saying for a mild overclock or something, you'd have to have voltage somewhere between 1.31v - 1.35v. But in bios i remember it saying my voltage was at 1.28. I have the option enabled for the system to auto configure the voltage. But in cpu-z it says my voltage is 1.38. This has me worried a bit. I'm not sure if that's safe at all. I want to safely bring the cpu to 3ghz, and don't think 1.38v is required to do that. Any advice? Thanks

Here's a screen of what cpu-z shows.
 
The best way to tweak your voltages is by setting them manually. Auto settings in BIOSes usually exaggerate the necessary voltage to be safe, but it's best to figure out the lowest stable settings yourself so you can use the least amount of power possible.
 
hmmm should i just drop down like .01v at a time? Or should i be able to go down to like 1.35 or 1.34 with np. I remember hearing someone say they hit 2.6ghz or 3ghz, and voltage was only at 1.31. I'm really thinking i'm way too high. Also i know you can set the northbridge voltage higher/lower. Would i have to also lower that if the mobo bios raised it?
 
you can start off by setting the 1.4v and running the preferred clock you want and work your way down. I usually try every other increment. So if I'm at 1.4v and its stable. I will jump two increments down and check stability. If its still stable I'll do the same thing until it becomes unstable. Another thing just because someone else can hit it at the voltage doesn't mean you will do the same
 
Back
Top