• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about CPU speed

Spacetrucker

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
65
...and perhaps a lame one at that, but if you don't ask you don't get :)

My Athlon 64 3400+ runs at 2.2Ghz, but according my system info it can run at a top speed of 3Ghz. Can I manually up the speed myself via the BIOS or whatever? I'm getting an X1950 pro video card(AGP) and I'm thinking the faster the processor speed the better it will run. Here are my system specs BTW if needed:-

MSI MS-6741
Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2MHz
Seasonic S12 430W PSU
Seagate ST3200822AS 200GB HD
Sony DVD Drive
Sony DVD-RW drive
M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard
 
Spacetrucker said:
according my system info it can run at a top speed of 3Ghz

I'm not sure where you're seeing that, but that is incorrect. The stock speed of your processor is 2.2, and unless you overclock you won't be hitting 3 Ghz through some kind of magical setting. I wouldn't worry about it for gaming; 2.2 Ghz is enough to power that 1950 pro.

If you're interested in learning more about overclocking, I would suggest reviewing this guide.
 
I'm not sure where you're seeing that, but that is incorrect. The stock speed of your processor is 2.2, and unless you overclock you won't be hitting 3 Ghz through some kind of magical setting. I wouldn't worry about it for gaming; 2.2 Ghz is enough to power that 1950 pro.

If you're interested in learning more about overclocking, I would suggest reviewing this guide.

It says so in System Info For Windows, here's a screen capture:-

CPUspeed.png


I know absoloutely nothing about overclocking so I was thinking if I got my speed up to 3Ghz then it couldn't be considered as so as that is it's maximum speed. I hope that makes sense . Thanks for the link - I'll take a look :)
 
It says so in System Info For Windows, here's a screen capture:-

I know absoloutely nothing about overclocking so I was thinking if I got my speed up to 3Ghz then it couldn't be considered as so as that is it's maximum speed. I hope that makes sense . Thanks for the link - I'll take a look :)

That "rating" is erroneous; the fastest stock 754 processor was 2.6ghz (Newark 4000+).

I'm not sure if thats something your board is reporting to Windows, or Windows assuming that based on your chipset, but either way I would ignore it.
 
Ignore it, Windows isn't very good when it comes to reading processor speed. Apparently, my E4300 was at 3.5ghz, because it presumed I was using the 9x multiplier. In fact, it was using the 8x.
 
That's probably the fastest speed that the chipset supports, not the actual maximum speed of your specific CPU.
 
Back
Top