Question about compatibility with Moto X Pure and unique carrier specific features.

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
I want the Moto X Pure
Curious about carrier specific features and if they will work with the phone
For example, I'll use Sprint (even though I am with Verizon)
Sprint has Sprint Spark. A next gen 4G LTE capability.
Sprint has the Sprint Zone app that allows access to your account and other basic account maintenance abilities.
Sprint has WiFi Calling (use phone to communicate over 4G

There are other carrier specific features that come with each carrier version device.
Are these unlocked devices compatible with unique carrier features/services?
You can also dial * or ## followed by a number(s) to receive various information, connect to different Sprint departments, or perform various device maintenance such as resetting the data profile (communication between device and cell tower)

Will these things still work with an unlocked device such as this? What would I be sacrificing, feature wise, between using a Verizon branded phone and the Moto X Pure?

Last edited:
Honestly the way you have worded this is confusing. As specifically for the Moto X Style, aren't they all unlocked to begin with?

Perhaps the following may help? :)

Am owner of both the Moto X (2013) Developer Edition and the Moto X (2014) Pure Edtion.
Both are not carrier based phones, were purchased from Motorola and manufactured as unlocked phones, and are subscribed to a T-Mobile monthly prepaid plan.

Regarding their being able to "dial * or ## followed by a number(s) to receive various information" :
> Dialing 611 connects to a live T-Mobile Service Representative.
> Dialing #932" (a USSD code) brings up a screen displaying the amount of MB of data I have used during the current month of the cycle.
> Dialing #225# (a USSD code) displays my current plan status stating, "Current plan active until xxxxx and will renew for $xx. Account balance xxx. Add money by dialing *233 or redeem a refill card".
> Pressing and holding down the cell phones' "1" dial pads, makes a connection to the T-Mobile's Voice Mail Service.

Such USSD codes, 3 digit service calls, and * numbers, do not require apps from the T-Mobile carrier, one simply dials them.

One can Google for USSD codes and carrier specific * phone numbers that perform various functions and obtain a lengthy list of them. However, some of the items in the web obtained listings may not be up to date, or they may no longer work. In my case I obtained my codes and service numbers by calling my carrier and asking for them.

Addendum:

1. I prefer to use the "T-Mobile Visual Voicemail" app (Google Play) for playing voice messages. It has a great looking visual interface, that pressing/holding "1" does not have.

2. T-Mobile's WiFi Calling has not been integrated into the Moto X's firmware.

Last edited:
tl;dr

there are some carrier-specific features that may or may nor be available

WiFi-Calling (Sprint/T-mobile) - likely not available
VoLTE (ATT/T-mobile/Verizon) - dunno... probably yes?

Verizon XLTE - yes, since it's officially supported on Verizon, has all LTe bands needed
Sprint Spark - yes, since it's officially supported on Sprint, has all LTE bands needed

Carrier-specific apps - if it's on the app store, should be fine... otherwise, no (why would you want carrier stuff on your phone anyways, besides checking your minutes/data? T-mobile has ma-tmobile.com, ATT/Sprint/Verizon has ???)

Are these unlocked devices compatible with unique carrier features/services?
generally no.... that's why it'll be interesting to see how much carrier features (VoLTe/WiFi calling/...) Motorola can get on a "pure" unlocked phones

Carrier apps can be useful/required for specific functions.

Sprint has Sprint Zone. It allows you full access to your account. You can view your bill, check upgrade eligibility, report tower/QoS issues, change your PTN, view coverage, etc.

Verizon has a similar thing called My Verizon Mobile.
Verizon also has a Hotspot, Verizon Tones, and Voicemail app which some would find useful. Verizon Tones controls ringback tones.

I'm assuming you could just find and download carrier specific app apk's on the Internet and as long as those apps match your carrier the device is associated with then the app and feature(s) should work as normal, yes?

However, there are some features which have to be enabled on the carriers side as well as the devices side such as Wi-Fi Calling.

Sprint has Airave. Would the Moto X Pure be able to communicate with that?

I'm wondering if there's a list of unsupported features from the popular carriers on non-branded, open, unlocked devices.

Back