question about cloning/ghosting a working harddrive OS to another same pc questions..

tgg

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok a question about cloning/ghosting a harddrive.

Now I have customer that has a dell laptop that will like to buy anothe laptop same model basically on ebay so then he can do a exact copy of the current laptop drive like a ghost/cloning then install that image that was created to the new used laptop off from ebay.

Now is this possible if so whats a good program to use? also does the new used laptop from ebay have to be the exact specs hardware components as the cloned drive one? thanks

If it's the same series of laptop (and I don't mean the brand - I mean if he has a Dell Latitude D620 for example and he's about to buy another D620, for example) then the only real difference in the hardware would most likely be either a faster or slower CPU (could be exactly the same, too), more or less RAM (which could be transplanted from the current machine), or most likely a different GPU (onboard vs discrete, or vice versa).

If that's the case - the models match - then cloning/ghosting is a fairly easy process. Could use something like Acronis True Image if he wants commercial software (if he has a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive of any kind he could get the stripped down version of that software from Seagate or Western Digital). If not, then a free solution like Clonezilla would be very useful as well, or DriveImage XML, etc. There are several free cloning/ghosting tools out there these days, take your pick, they'll all end up doing the same thing.

Note that cloning/ghosting doesn't mean just copying all the files from the source to the target drive; the process of cloning/ghosting is to create a bit-for-bit copy, with everything intact and matching on both drives when you're done, save for doing a proportional partition resize which the cloning/ghosting software should handle automagically.

That's about it - if you've got more questions, just ask.

Cool thanks I will report in the near future how it went, I still need to order a laptop n such. Thanks

Just remember --

If he's been using the computer for a while now, and the OS isn't performing (which I'm assuming is the reason one would want new hardware?) --- doing this isn't going to help much.

Yes, a faster process and more RAM would technically make it run better, but nothing beats a fresh install.

Back