• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Question about building Opteron based system.

jnex26

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
3,353
I'm going to be departing from my old XP 1700 (Original version) to a opteron soon. I will be using the machine for gaming, CAD, file server, MP3 encoding.

I want to be building a Dual opteron with about 1 gig ram. the only thing that bothers me is the lack of support for ram above 2700. I whish to use faster ram than this but saying that would I have a problem finding ECC above 2700.

Also I'm only going to be buying 1 processor initally then adding another later on (like a month later on) I know this was impossible with the old PIII's (needed to be the same stepping and batch usally) but have they fixed that.

Also what kind of performance can I expect from this setup i'm looking at giving ANY P4 avalible ATM a damn good whipping.

also finally. What is the best board for my money I know the board is not going to be cheap. but i would like the following feature a AGP 8x slot. but I would like to have a board with a gigabit ethernet. and USB2.0

Many Thanks

J26
 
Back
Top