• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

question about building a new system

modulus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
360
So I'm thinking of putting together a new socket 2011 based system and started thinking . . . if my backup server uses server parts including ECC memory, why shouldn't I just base my desktop off server parts.

If I were to get a SB-E chip that was simply the xeon version, and used it with ECC memory, would there be any negative implications for a desktop. I run win7 ultimate x64. I would mostly be interested in compatibility issues that could come up.

I play games and use photoshop/premier.

Any thoughts? What are the disadvantages of doing that?
 
Memory clocks will be slower due to error correction, but probably not noticeable.
 
^ Thats pretty much it. You might notice a slight difference. But you would have to be looking for it IMO
 
So I guess my question then becomes: why does everyone not use server-based hardware for desktop systems?

The only disadvantage I can think of would be the higher memory prices for ECC memory. However, with that being said ECC memory is cheaper now than non-ecc memory was a year ago. So with memory prices so low, it just seems silly to not go for the extra data security.

So another question, I've never run with server parts before so can xeon processors run with chipsets used for desktop systems . . . ie: if i get a xeon sb-e processor will it work with an x79 board or will i have to get a board with a server-based chipset?
 
That's the point right there, higher expense. Since data security for RAM isn't important for most users (rightly so), and greater quantities of RAM/faster RAM is, most users will opt for more RAM or faster RAM rather than ECC RAM. Additionally, the cost just isn't in the RAM, it's also with getting a processor and motherboard that supports it.

Xeon processors will run on desktop systems as long as the socket is the same.
 
The main reason I lean ECC, is that with ECC RAM, if you have a memory problem, you know it. No need to mess around with memtest for days on end. Memory becomes something in the background, which just works, like the CPU, so you can concentrate on troubleshooting elsewhere.
 
I only avoided the ECC due to the Server motherboard configurations not having the correct configuration. More like a Workstation board with Audio and PCIe16 etc.
 
Back
Top