• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about budgeting for a SFF

Shalafi

Fully [H]
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
22,973
How much does the average SFF cost to build if you're using standard high performance components that will fit in a SFF case?

I'm just curious if it costs more than a desktop or less.

I'd imagine that heat can be a problem in a SFF case.

Why go SFF over a full sized desktop?

I am interested in a SFF for one of my future builds simply because I want to try something different, but I'm wondering if it costs more to build a SFF than a desktop.

What kind of performance tradeoffs do you make, if any?
 
almost 500 posts in 53 days! My goodness you are posting.

Ok, I'm going to answer in order just using 1,2,3 etc. Also check out SFFClub.com (recently launched site 2 so lots of content is missing).

1) Between 1000-1500 for a high end system. It really various...you can go up to 2k I'm sure

2) The same as a desktop or within $100 (most likely less). The only changed components tend to be the motherboard and case shape. Sometimes the PSU is different.

3) heat is sometimes a problem...depends on the case. I rarely hear of it being a huge issue.

4) Because it is smaller and sometimes more energy efficient.

5) Already answered about whether or not it costs more :). You also have limited choice in SFF. Only one mini itx board that for 1156..for example (well one good one).

6) Not much of a performance tradeoff unless you go to mini-itx. The tradeoffs are not always noticeable for the normal user. Smaller = less things you put in there.
 
It all varies like steve said. I think I just put together a fairly nice mini-itx and spent only about $950 not including the OS and monitor. It wasnt the best i7 chip in the world, and it didnt have the best graphics card. I didnt have like 100 gigs of RAM either. Essentially if you want the bells and whistles you are going to pay out your butt just like any other form factor, but you have to be honest with yourself if cash is a limiting factor on your system. Do you really need 2 or 3 ssds in raid? Do you really need 16 gigs of the best RAM money can buy? Do you really need 2-3 video cards in crossfire/sli? Each user is different and the answer to each of those questions will depend on what you plan on using the system for. And it all effects what you are going to pay. In my recent experience though you don't pay any more or any less of a premium because you chose to go with a SFF system compared to a regular size system. In fact I actually ended up spending about $200 less on my system which I felt was superior to the one my friend put together for a friends of his that was a standard ATX.
 
How much does the average SFF cost to build if you're using standard high performance components that will fit in a SFF case?

I'm just curious if it costs more than a desktop or less.

I'd imagine that heat can be a problem in a SFF case.

Why go SFF over a full sized desktop?

I am interested in a SFF for one of my future builds simply because I want to try something different, but I'm wondering if it costs more to build a SFF than a desktop.

What kind of performance tradeoffs do you make, if any?

1: probly as much as a a regular desktop will cost, give or take $100, main variation is the main board, cooling method and the case that houses these components
2: as above, depends on what cooling components you use which would add on to final costs
3: not really, it depends on method of cooling, the corsair H50 is godsent for SFF with the benefits of a good air cooler in a compact non obstructive size. with proper watercooling heat can never be an issue
3: its small, its cute, it gives more real estate, its different, sometimes more efficient
4: as 1 and 2, sometimes it can be cheaper because matx boards are sometimes cheaper then full atx ones. between atx and matx cost difference is basically nil and a small premium for itx
5: performance trade off? are you jokeing? practically none. unless you consider running not running 5970CF in a itx a trade off

with the right case (im using SG03, with i7 and 5870CF) you can fit almost any performance parts

even itx boards can accomodate a HD5970, more of a question of which case and PSU to go with it. not sure how its going at LanGear but they promised to offer us a itx box that can house a 5970 and a full atx PSU
 
Back
Top