Question about Audigy 2 ZS

CrunkyMunkey

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
88
First of all, hi! (first time poster)

I'm looking to finally get an Audigy 2 ZS and upgrading from my SB Live 5.1 Plat (w/ Front Panel). Now, my question is; If I get the Audigy 2 ZS without front panel, would I be able to use my SB Live 5.1 front panel with it?

I was looking at the pictures of the front panel and it looks pretty much just like the 5.1 front panel, except they added a fire wire hookup (something I could care less about). So I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried it, or maybe is doing it..

Thanks.
 
If I get no replies by the end of the day, I'll just go buy a non-front panel from bestbuy and try to hook her up and see if it works or not. Then return it and get it cheaper elsewhere. ;)
 
i believe someone tried it. the results weren't pretty. from what i heard, the pin array on the connector is different, so it isn't compatible. ihopefully someone can provide more solid info, but what i read indicated that either the live drive fried or the zs fried, or both.

best of luck.
 
Woah, before you get all crazy, try and track down a thread on this forum discussing as much. It's not the ideal thing to do, and not worth frying the cable, the card, or the Live! Drive.
 
Originally posted by generalpants
Woah, before you get all crazy, try and track down a thread on this forum discussing as much. It's not the ideal thing to do, and not worth frying the cable, the card, or the Live! Drive.
Seeing as how searching is disabled... no.

I emailed Creative support and kinda made up a story to where they would have to answer truthfully instead of telling me to spend more money.. so we'll see.
 
From all I've heard, no, it doesn't work, Creative changes their pinout (and doesn't publish it either) with every card now. The only time I've heard of one working is between an Audigy 2 drive and an Audigy 2 ZS, other than that Creative tells you to spend $100 for a bunch of connectors. I guess they have to make their money somewhere.
 
Ok well, they replied:
Regarding connecting the soundcard to your computer case:

We can tell you that our outputs are standard, but we do not recommend
doing this. It could void your soundcard's warranty if done incorrectly.
If you decide to proceed, be aware that you are doing so at your own
risk. You can get more information from the case manufacturer on this
matter.
Soooo yeah..
 
I don't think Creative is referring to the AD-EXT pin out that's suppose to be used with their drives.

I think they're talking about the OEM front connector pins, which no one has yet to find out which of the 10-pins is which.

The Live drive won't work with the ZS. Even the Audigy 1 drive doesn't work with the Audigy 2.
 
Back
Top