Question about ATM and Frame Relay

you really need to read up on both, google will get you tons of fun white papers to read...

Both are protocols to route a group of packets(frame) over a lan or internet. I could go on for weeks, but really, theres plenty on the net...

That is a VERY loaded question. And their are benefits to each technology. But I agree with Phaedrus, google is your friend. I can tell you that ATM is typically used for high-speed backbones. It is typically not a sevice that is offered to a customer premise. However Frame-relay is. Frame Relay can also run "on-top" of ATM so you could have a frame relay circuit to your prem, and then at some point that frame circuit would hop onto an ATM backbone. It all depends on how the network is setup and what you are looking for. Google it

Well, when I move to my new connection. It'll change me to an ATM Circuit (I have a Frame Relay circuit) right now for my internet connection.

ATM can scale very well, way beyond the scope of FR. Its also more efficient for WAN routing (or switching, if you're one of those types). In the LAN, I suggest just going for GigE. Its more cost beneficial than ATM equipment (generally speaking) and can be deployed all the way to the host if you choose to. There are other benefits, but I'd be here all night trying to explain them. This really is one of those questions best answered by a good google search/wikipedia romp.

I'm surprised you're getting ATM directly to your residence? You might have hit some marketing fluff in that the ISP is at an ATM point and from there it gets all split down to you and other customers. Otherwise, you would have fibre right up to your doorstep. o_O

LonerVamp said:
I'm surprised you're getting ATM directly to your residence? You might have hit some marketing fluff in that the ISP is at an ATM point and from there it gets all split down to you and other customers. Otherwise, you would have fibre right up to your doorstep. o_O
Isn't that what Verisons FIOS is? I don't know if they use ATM specificly, but I beleive the do use fibre optics for it. Maybe he is some manager though, one of those that doesn't know the techincal stuff, but has to work with the IT people that do? :confused:

Again I doubt you are getting ATM to your prem. DSL can also hop onto a ATM backbone (mine does) but this does not meen your talking ATM from your house to the ISP. Verizon FIOS is fiber to the home, and I don't think there is to much info about the internals of it all yet.

BobSutan makes a good point as well. Im not sure on the cost difference but I have heard that ATM is insanely expensive. GigE is cheaper and as Bob also said has several advantages over ATM

Well my ISP is www.isomedia.com and I got this in my e-mail ->
Also, you are currently on what's called "Framed Relay" DSL, this is older technology that is being phased out. When you upgrade to the 3.0/768 program that is the new ATM DSL. You should be quite happy with that.

I think we have fiber or something... Pretty sure though o_O. Cause I remember when Comcast tried to enter where I live. They wanted to jump on the OC-* fiber optics line under the bridge but they couldn't - they were denied.

Is the fiber from my house to the isp or what? Cause I remember there was a huge thing that comcast and verizon did in my city. They dug up all the old lines added in fiberoptics or added in fiberoptics underground.

DSL is Digital Subscriber Line, its used to send digital signals over your phoneline. I suspect the ATM part of your ATM DSL is just specifying how data is passed between the DSL modem and your ISP, or phone company. I don't know the specifics on DSL tech. so hopefully some one can cover this better, and correct any mistakes I have made.

Back