Question about ATA on motherboards.

Able4

n00b
Ok so it's my first build and i'm looking at hard drives. I see one that is a ATA100 and then a new faster one that is ATA150. I looked at my abit board I wanted and it just said
"2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices." So would I be able to get a ATA150 hard drive? I haven't seen any motherboards that I looked at that had ATA150. Please let me know if I'm looking at the wrong thing or something.

ATA150 drives are SATA (afaik ATA133 is the fastest PATA drive).
depending upon which motherboard you have you may/may not be able to use them

What motherboard have you got?

ATA comes in 66/100/133 right now, basically all boards will say ATA100 or 133, and they are the same thing too. They use a 40pin/80wire connector

What you probably saw was SATA150, that uses a newer serial plug. SATA I is 150, SATA II is 300.

You can run 2 drives or devices from an ATA port, called IDE or EIDE. Only one from a SATA port.

Right now so far, i'm looking at a ABIT AN8 32X ATX AMD Motherboard, unless someone tells me it's crap then i'll have to find another one :) . Thanks for the replies.

BUFF said:
ATA150 drives are SATA (afaik ATA133 is the fastest PATA drive).
depending upon which motherboard you have you may/may not be able to use them

What motherboard have you got?

Correct.

BUFF said:
YARDof STUF " SATA I is 150, SATA II is 300" isn't strictly true.
http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp

Hard disk controllers and HDDs label SATA II 300, so weither it hits those speeds or not, or is even the right term to use doesnt matter cuz the stuff is out there to buy labeled like that.

So is sata-io saying that SATA II can't do more than SATA I?

YARDofSTUF said:
Hard disk controllers and HDDs label SATA II 300, so weither it hits those speeds or not, or is even the right term to use doesnt matter cuz the stuff is out there to buy labeled like that.
Labelled so against SATA-IO recommendations then.

So is sata-io saying that SATA II can't do more than SATA I?
What they are saying (& they are the people that write the specs.) is that the 3Gb/s interface speed is only 1 of several additional optional features that come under the specifications published by the previous Serial ATA Working Group II. You could as much have a SATA150 drive with e.g. NCQ (another of the optional additional features) & equally call it a SATAII drive (although there never actually was a SATAII spec.).

Here's another link for you.http://www.sata-io.org/3g.asp

Wow, thanks for all the help guys. Sortof cleared it up but i'm still a little confused with the tech terms. Good to know that motherboard can handle it though.

Able4 said:
Wow, thanks for all the help guys. Sortof cleared it up but i'm still a little confused with the tech terms. Good to know that motherboard can handle it though.
Basically, for vastly simplified purposes the differences are that the drive uses a different type of port on the motherboard and a different means of communication. SATA is the newer standard and is replacing PATA. PATA is rumoured to be phased out on some upcoming Intel chipsets (down to only one port, presumably for CD/DVD drives) so if you're thinking the SATA 150 drive is the better choice, you're right.

superkdogg said:
Basically, for vastly simplified purposes the differences are that the drive uses a different type of port on the motherboard and a different means of communication. SATA is the newer standard and is replacing PATA. PATA is rumoured to be phased out on some upcoming Intel chipsets (down to only one port, presumably for CD/DVD drives) so if you're thinking the SATA 150 drive is the better choice, you're right.

Now I get it. I posted on another link and the topic was how ABIT isnt' real swift to some people :( . So I may be on the long search again for a motherboard.

Back