Question about Asus p5b Deluxe power up sequence

ominous protocol

Weaksauce
Hello All

I have lurked on these forums for quite a while now. Up until now I have been able to find answers to most of my questions using search. However, I am not getting any hits for my question.

Recently I put together a C2D system with the Asus p5b deluxe MB.

Once assembled, I powered it on. The computer begins to start up (for 1-2 seconds), then shuts off and then comes back on within another 1-2 seconds. It did this each time I powered the unit on for about 2 weeks. I figured it was normal.

But, last night I was screwing around with the FSB and the multi settings. After doing so, I shut the unit down.

Now this morning I turned the box on, and it skipped the power up, then down, then back on sequence that I was used to. Basically it just fired right up, like all of my other comps have in the past.

Is this normal or might I have a bad board? The Asus manual did not seem to mention anything about this.

Thanks in advance.

Mine does this too...

Sometimes it hangs at start, sometimes it cycles a few times, other times it's perfect. :eek:

Strange...

Mine has been consistent about:

1. Turning on
2. Back off
3. Back on and boot

It never cycled anymore than that.

Odd :confused:

So it didn't do the odd thing any more and powers right up like it should?

And you're complaining? =P

What did you change if you don't mind?

Did you change the voltage on the processor or anything to that effect?

I am not complaining about it...just wondering if it was normal or not.

Figured it could possibly be some intermittent problem.

The last change I made was dropping the FSB down to 333 from 355.
I thought maybe it had something to do with that, but it did the weird thing before at these same settings. I have changed the processor voltage but that was several tinkering sessions before the most current.

So I dunno

Mine does this odd powerup as well, but ONLY after the power has been unplugged. As long as I haven't unplugged the PC lately, it fires up as normal. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it'll start up for a couple seconds, power down for about 10 seconds, then fire back up and boot normally.

I think it's related to bios setting "power loss" or something of that sort. Check in the bios.

I have the same problem and started a thread about it a few days ago in the Motherboards forum. I only got one reply by someone who said his did the same thing. Here's what I posted:

"I have a Asus P5B Deluxe plugged into a surge strip. Regularly when after I shut down from Windows, I turn off the surge strip (my monitor is also connected to it). When starting, I turn on the surge strip, start up and everything is fine.

However, when overclocking it with a Intel E6400, it boots different. The system will startup for a second or two, then turn off for a second or two, then start again and boot normally into Windows. I used all variations of settings for overclocking, with no difference in the boot issue, so I see know reason to post voltages, FSB, enabled/disabled, etc. I've run mild overclocks all the way up to 3.2GHz with no errors in Orthos.

After further experimenting, I find a couple scenarios when I don't have this startup issue.

When I do a restart from Windows it reboots with no issue.

When I leave the surge strip turned on and the motherboard is in its "soft-off" mode, where the Asus Power LED is the color blue, it starts with no issue.

It's like the system needs that slight bit of standby power to start with no issue. Is this normal, or is it best to leave surge strip turned on and the computer in "soft-off" mode? Also, I have the Corsair 520watt power supply, so I can't believe it is because of a weak power supply."

:rolleyes: Go to bios settings, find one titled "restore on AC power loss" and set it to "power off". If you set it to "power on", computer will turn on every time you give the power to it (i.e. via a strip). "Last state" will turn on the computer momentarily for it to check, which power state it was prior to you cutting power to mobo.. So there it is, your bios is prolly set to the last option, that's why comp turns on, shuts down in few seconds and then turns on properly.:D This setting is located in Power-APM configuration part of my bios, yours might be different.

OP prolly modified this setting when he was oc'ing the comp.. might happen, to oc, you change a miriad things in there :)

:rolleyes: Go to bios settings, find one titled "restore on AC power loss" and set it to "power off". If you set it to "power on", computer will turn on every time you give the power to it (i.e. via a strip). "Last state" will turn on the computer momentarily for it to check, which power state it was prior to you cutting power to mobo.. So there it is, your bios is prolly set to the last option, that's why comp turns on, shuts down in few seconds and then turns on properly.:D This setting is located in Power-APM configuration part of my bios, yours might be different.

OP prolly modified this setting when he was oc'ing the comp.. might happen, to oc, you change a miriad things in there :)
That makes sense, I'll try it. But, what's the purpose for these settings?

EDIT: I just tried it and it doesn't change anything really. It does the same thing, except the computer starts without having to press the power button. In other words, once I turned on the power strip the computer started, with the same start, stop, start again and boot normally sequence. In my BIOS by the way, Restore on AC Power Loss was was still set to the default [Power Off]. I changed it to the [Power On] for this test.

Interesting. Maybe the setting is broken on your mobo? On mine, when I set it to off, the comp stays off when I restore power to mobo (turn on the PSU). That's on p5w with 1602 bios. Did you try another bios?

Now, the purpose of this setting is for the computer to reboot if it was on when power was cut, and continue doing what it was doing before power loss, I guess, it's a server-like setting. If you don't want that, set it to "power off" and comp should stay off when power resumes. I had that setting on a few other boards I owned (abit ones), and they always behaved like that. Oh, and on p5w that setting is also used for remote control stuff

Interesting. Maybe the setting is broken on your mobo? On mine, when I set it to off, the comp stays off when I restore power to mobo (turn on the PSU). That's on p5w with 1602 bios. Did you try another bios?

Now, the purpose of this setting is for the computer to reboot if it was on when power was cut, and continue doing what it was doing before power loss, I guess, it's a server-like setting. If you don't want that, set it to "power off" and comp should stay off when power resumes. I had that setting on a few other boards I owned (abit ones), and they always behaved like that. Oh, and on p5w that setting is also used for remote control stuff
Like I said, I changed it to Power On for the test, so it works like you said. It just doesn't change the "start, stop, start again and boot normally sequence." Also, note like I said at the beginning, this sequence only happens when overclocking.

I upgraded to the second most recent BIOS, 9.10 for the P5B Deluxe.

Well, I'm stomped. Interestingly, if I play with remote app in windows, it affects my comp bios somehow, but doesn't change any settings in there. So if I enable starting computer from the remote, the comp behave like yours - turn itself on for a few seconds and then shuts itself down. If I disable starting computer from remote, the comp will stay off after resuming power... All that while the bios setting I mentioned stays at "power off"... I'll dig in my bios a little more, try to find out how the windows app can affect comp behavior, because I feel like it's somehow related to your troubles... After all, p5b and p5w are closely related, save for the chipset used..

I'm just guessing it has something to do with checking the system to see if it needs to clear the BIOS or something. With this board, if you get a failure to boot, then unplug it and plug it back in, it automagically clears the BIOS back to default instead of making you use a clear CMOS jumper. I'm just thinking that if the power is interrupted, it makes a check to see if it needs to clear CMOS. Of course I have no idea, just making an educated guess... :D

Back