Question about applying AS5 to a C2D

Shaman

Limp Gawd
The arctic silver instructions say to apply a very thin line of AS5 across the heatspreader. Now how thin should this line be? Should it be paper thin like with the razor method used on single core cpu's? Or should it be "whatever squirted out of the syringe" thin? In other words, do I need to make the line thinner afterwards with the edge of a razor or similar?

I've tried a few variations on these instructions, ranging from a great big thick line a few mm deep to almost nothing. I found the best temperatures were obtained from a thin line probably 1-1.5mm in thickness right down the centre. I also put a couple of very thin lines at the outer edges parallel to the one in the middle. I probably don't need to do this as it’s the core of the heat spreader which will transfer most of the heat, but I've noticed after I've removed the heat sink the AS5 doesn't quite cover all of the spreader. For reference I'm running an e6400 @ 3.2 GHz with a Scythe Ninja Rev B sat on top and getting around 40 - 43C idle. Spreading it ultra thin all over the base with a credit card gave me around 57-60C idle, so this is probably not the way to do it!

i put a BB-sized drop on there, push the HSF into place, twist it a couple of times, and call it good......... seems to work well with anything with a heatspreader......... the real thin layer with a razor-blade is for exposed dies...........

Back