Question about an upgrade.

I plan on upgrading this November during the black friday, and cyber monday sales. I've got a socket 939 single core, with 1.5gb of rame. I'm completely upgrading everything lol.

I've got most of my parts picked out, but because technology moves so fast, that's bound to change. One thing, I am uncertain about is the current sockets for intel.

Let me get this straight:

1155 = Casual
2011 = Enthusiast

The 1155 would be better suited for me because I like to Overclock, and am always looking for the best bang for the buck. Correct?

I've also been told to wait for Ivy Bridge.. and I hear that it's possibly on the 1155 socket.
Should I wait for that?

My BIGGEST concern is that we'll have another 1336 (or w/e socket that is.) on our hands. I understand that 1155 has been out for awhile, but I would really like to upgrade my processor down the line, instead of my motherboard AND processor.

I hope that was all coherent, I'm a bit out of it.

Thanks!!

I did a little research, would buying the cheapest/best overclocker for the money be the best thing for me to do right now, and then I'll wait for IVY to upgrade?

Dude, if you're upgrading from a Socket 939 + 1.5GB setup, ANYTHING will be a huge upgrade.

Get a 2500K + P67 mobo. You will be VERY happy.

Yeah.. I was thinking that. The cheapest 1155 socket CPU I could find was about 120.. and the 2500k is only 170$ up at microcenter right now. Bleh! lol.

I'm going to update my sig to my 'potential' gaming setup :p

My BIGGEST concern is that we'll have another 1336

What do you mean? 1366 had/has excellent life, albeit expensive.

Keep in mind that you cannot oc the i3-2100, the cheapest intel 1155 chip you'll be able to oc is the 2500k (k denotes unlocked).

You can overclock any level of 2011 chips. However, it will be very expensive.

If you're into overclocking, LGA1155 with a P67 motherboard and the 2500k would be the cheapest route to go for a good gaming machine. It'll help if you give us a better idea of your budget.

wI have no ideal budget, I plan on getting most of my parts second hand, honestly.
2500k - 170
Z68 Asrock - 125
G skill 8gb - 50
GTX 460 - 100
Corsair 600T- 100
SSD - 80$
2 TB HDD - 80$
PSU - ?? Don't know just yet.

Everything aside from the SSD I am confident I can find for those prices come Nov. I believe if I stick with the z68 PCI 3.0, It will sort of future proof my build so that I can upgrade in a year or two to an Ivy Bridge build using the same socket without changing mobos.

Honestly the only thing I really planning on spending the MOST money on is the cooling. I'm probably spending 200$ or so on water

I'd cut your watercooling budget in half (or a quarter and just get a decent air cooler) and spend the difference on a better video card.

$200 on watercooling is only barely enough for a moderately good CPU only loop.

But if you want to get yourself into the hobby, by all means I would encourage you to do so. That is, if you enjoy doing those kinds of things. Otherwise, just get something like the H100 or NH-D14.

$200 on watercooling is only barely enough for a moderately good CPU only loop.

But if you want to get yourself into the hobby, by all means I would encourage you to do so. That is, if you enjoy doing those kinds of things. Otherwise, just get something like the H100 or NH-D14.

Isn't a 3.120 rad, and a 480mm rad enough? Radiators or pretty much the most expensive thing.

Pump - 50$
Tubes/accessories - 20$
Radiators - $140
Fill port - 25$

So i guess maybe 250 ish

edit

oh wait, i didn't even think about the actual heat sinks. Yeah, I guess thats a bit more money

What do you mean? 1366 had/has excellent life, albeit expensive.

Keep in mind that you cannot oc the i3-2100, the cheapest intel 1155 chip you'll be able to oc is the 2500k (k denotes unlocked).

2120K.

Back