Question about AMD 64 3200+ and 3500+

arachn1d

Gawd
Hey,

My question on the amd 64 3200+ and 3500+ is if its worth the $100 difference for 200 mhz?

Is there any reason to get a 3500 over the 3200? (i'll be using a geforce gt, and it'll be mainly for gaming)

In one word: no.

In more...

The 3500 offers a higher multiplier of 11x, the 3200 offers a multiplier of 10, and the 3000+ offers a multiplier of 9. Clearly the 3200 is ideal and they tend to clock into similar ranges as 3500.

If you opt for the 3000+ you will need to run 300FSB to get 2700mhz. If you get a 3200, you will need to run 270 for 2700mhz. If you get a 3500, you can run 245 for 2700mhz. So you might want to pick your CPU with respect to which ram you plan to use and what sort of frequency and timings you want to run on it.

The 3200 is the obvious choice here, unless you have money to burn for little or no gain.

In my opinion, that 100 dollars could be better spent put to higher quality RAM or better cooling for an overclock, seeing as youre going to get nearly the same OC on each.

Then you should look into what frequencies people have been hitting on these sticks - they should have TCCD modules so that means you are looking in the right place. Once you know what frequency you can hit on the memory, that will help you know what multiplier you will need to run the CPU at to get the resultant frequency you want to run the CPU.

You may be able to find other sticks of ram featuring TCCD modules on brainpower PCB which come at a lower cost than corsair. Depending on what you are trying to do, you may find that 3200 limiting... It isn't as awesome as it once was when it was new - there are more players in the field now.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2312

go have a look around the memory forum for good ram for your system, the general choice for overclocking is either ocz, g.skill or crucial ballistix (i have ballistix myself, and they're awesome)

Okay I have no idea what any of those terms are for memory. First, why would I need to know the frequencies, and those modules? etc.. (just trying to learn, bear with me if you can)

they're all brands.
crucial ballistix for typical overclocking, i think pc3200 is better, but at the expense of higher timings, the pc4000 can clock higher.
g.skill is a comany who is now pretty well known for making ram that caters to enthusiasts and overclockers. their high end ram quite often can do 300mhz if the rest of the system is up for it
there are two noteworthy ocz ram sticks. both e.b. rev2, pc4000 and pc3200. the pc4000 is usually better, but i don't have much experience with ocz ram myself, so someone else will have to step in and fill in the missing data.

arachn1d said:
Okay I have no idea what any of those terms are for memory. First, why would I need to know the frequencies, and those modules? etc.. (just trying to learn, bear with me if you can)

You want the ram to run at the same speed as your HTT. When you overclock your HTT, your ram is overclocked as well. If your ram cant keep up with the processor, then you will only be able to go as fast as the ram.

arachn1d said:
so 3200 ram cant compete with a 2.4 ghz (3200+) amd 64?

Oh, sure it can. Theres plenty of ram that's technically rated at PC3200 and can get to 240MHz. Look into OCZ and corsair XMS for that. It's just that at DDR480, it's called PC3800 (3840 to be exact, though I think they still call it PC3700.)

Let me see if have this right.

pc3200 is ddr400, thus runs at 200mhz or 200x2 (as its double data rate), thus 200mhz x the 10 muitiplier of the 3200 gives you the cpu default speed of 2ghz? Thus if you wanted to say hit or surpass the 3500 speeds, which is 2.2 ghz... if you could run ur FSB 30mhz over spec, at 230, x 10, you could run your 3200 at 2.3 ghz... faster then that of a 3500. (plus i have to drop the HT speed down to 4, cuz 4x230 is 920, keeping my HT less then 1000mhz.

right?

so when i pick up my 3200, i should go with some decent memory that i can push my FSB 20-30 mhz over spec, to hit those 3500 speeds? is this cosair stuff here pretty good? what speed of fsb should i be able to get with that, assuming adequate cooling.

That corsair is nice but your best bet would be to get ram that is rated higher. PC4000 and PC4200 (which i have, but my shit motherboard doesnt allow them to see their true potential) are getting really good right now.

well 200$ is close to my limit for ram., as im picking up a msi k8n, and the 3200 too. And im bugeted at around 550$ give or take a bit. is there some decent pc4000 i could stretch my budget for?

ive seen some geil and patriot stuff around close to that price.

robberbaron said:
That corsair is nice but your best bet would be to get ram that is rated higher. PC4000 and PC4200 (which i have, but my shit motherboard doesnt allow them to see their true potential) are getting really good right now.
most ram limitations like that are cpu related.. the memory controller being not up to the task of running ram at high speeds. i have the same problem. and a side note, a lot of pc3200 ram can go way past 240mhz. most tccd does 260+, my ballistix can do 240mhz at 2.5-2-2-10 and could go higher if it wasn't for my memory controller

Schmiggy, you'll be right if you have a clawhammer or a s939 chip. if you get a 754 newcastle, the 3200 = 2.2hgz, 3400 = 2.4ghz.
however, since this is about winchesters, that's a moot point.

thanks for the help guys. sorry for turnning your thread arachn1d into a cpu memory discussion, lol.

Now to figure out exactly what ram is tccd and what isnt. I know tccd is a samsung spec. And to find myself a good priced retail 3200.

go do a search in the memory forum... there are a ton of threads about tccd in there.

Back