question about am2

blitzcraig

Gawd
I have a friend who swears that socket am2 initially supported ddr1...is this correct or incorrect?

That would be incorrect. The memory controller is in the CPU, and all AM2 CPUs have DDR2 memory controllers :)

The only selling point of AM2 was and is DDR2. Other than that it brings nothing signifigant to the table over 939.

Support future quad core is nothing significant?
*scratches head*

I got 50 saying 939 could of supported QC's if they had DDR1 controllers, but I can't engineer that chip so yeah. The ONLY reason was DDR2, and being AMD they either couldn't make a multimode memory controller or didn't want to spend the money.

AM2 was just a big fuck you from AMD to 939 owners in my mind, Socket 754 to 939 was the same thing, If they really wanted to make a dual channel 754 or a DDR1/2 939 they could have, but backwards compatibility is a luxury which AMD couldn't afford (people not buying new motherboards and chips).

I'm sure this rant has been said 1000 times over, but AMD gave 754 and 939 owners (more 939 than 754) a raw deal.

I never keep a desktop more than 2 years anyway, i was glad to pawn my 754 machine off and buy an am2 machine. Going from agp + 754 to am2 + pci-e was...very nice.

I got 50 saying 939 could of supported QC's if they had DDR1 controllers, but I can't engineer that chip so yeah. The ONLY reason was DDR2, and being AMD they either couldn't make a multimode memory controller or didn't want to spend the money.

AM2 was just a big fuck you from AMD to 939 owners in my mind, Socket 754 to 939 was the same thing, If they really wanted to make a dual channel 754 or a DDR1/2 939 they could have, but backwards compatibility is a luxury which AMD couldn't afford (people not buying new motherboards and chips).

I'm sure this rant has been said 1000 times over, but AMD gave 754 and 939 owners (more 939 than 754) a raw deal.

Here here, we were done royally!

Yeah, I would've upgraded my cpu by now if AM2 wasn't in the way. New mobo and ram just for a new cpu. That shouldn't have been necessary. Dual-DDR1 is plenty quick

AM2 has been the biggest piss-take towards 939 users. Late last year I was ready to go bonkers and buy a rather expensive CPU, but low and behold the best ones were AM2. I had to "settle" for a 4400+. :mad:

Mind you, I'm not at all unhappy with the 4400+, it's an excellent chip.

I'm still using 939 with my Opteroon 165. I would like to upgrade but AM3 and DDR3 are almost here.

Back