Question about a Win 7 license

Any legitimate channel through which you purchase the license should give you the software. If you buy it retail, you get a DVD. If you buy it through MSDN/Technet, you get a download location.

If you are seeing a place to order just a license, that doesn't mention the media, I'd be looking elsewhere in a hurry.

I have to ask out of curiosity, because it seems to be an odd question, but where have you found licenses for sale without the media?

I have to ask out of curiosity, because it seems to be an odd question, but where have you found licenses for sale without the media?
It's possible. Microsoft license resellers can sell you so many licenses w/o any media.

Well, I sort of figured if the OP was going through an official channel to obtain extra licenses, getting the media wouldn't be an issue.

Someone has a MSDN business account. So your saying that he could sell me a Windows 7 Ultimate license and this will be legal? He would ship me the disc or send me a link where I could download a ISO.

Last edited:
No, that is most definitely not legal, to sell those licenses to people not affiliated with the group who has the MSDN account. You'd be toeing the line asking them for an .iso file and using your own license. It probably isn't a big deal, but I still wouldn't be talking about it on here. If that person is offering to sell you a license, that is most definitely not legal. If Microsoft ever found out those were being resold, that MSDN account could be canceled or shut down. I have a TechNet account, and I wouldn't dream of selling any of my licenses.

Back