Question about 64bit win XP

jeff1941

Weaksauce
If you have a 64bit cpu like an opti 165 dual core. How much of a performance diff do you notice. Also which type of apps are anal about the 64bit i heared its not that much faster and the anti virus + firewall dotn run most of them. Is it worth the upgrade? Are the games going to run better like C.S, wow and g.w for example?

You won't see any difference, unless the application is specifically written for XP64. If you do a search on this subforum, you'll find a ton of threads asking these exact questions.

jeff1941 said:
If you have a 64bit cpu like an opti 165 dual core. How much of a performance diff do you notice. Also which type of apps are anal about the 64bit i heared its not that much faster and the anti virus + firewall dotn run most of them. Is it worth the upgrade? Are the games going to run better like C.S, wow and g.w for example?
I use x64, and the applications are about the same really. All your drivers have to be 64bit or its a no go for that piece of hardware. Utilities such as virus scan software probably need to be 64bit as well. I know I had problems with a 32bit versoin of ez recovery pro for instance..

oh and no performance gain. I can't say it was a good or bad move on my part. I am glad the codebase is w2k3 server though :> and IIS 6.0 is nice to have ...

I've found it that win x64 stays alive for longer under one install than 32. It stays smoother longer without a need to reformat and reinstall.

serbiaNem said:
I've found it that win x64 stays alive for longer under one install than 32. It stays smoother longer without a need to reformat and reinstall.
That's all in how it's maintained...not what OS it is, so to speak. If maintained right, you could get years out of either.

djnes said:
That's all in how it's maintained...not what OS it is, so to speak. If maintained right, you could get years out of either.

I'm going on almost 2 years on my WinXP install. Might be time for a reformat though

ClamScan is a good scanner for Win64

Auto-backup software doesn't seem to work in Win64....good thing I don't mind doing manual backups of data, but the auto-backup of configurations would be nice.

One nice thing about a dual-core Win64 machine is that you can assign tasks to just run on one core or the other...so when you're doing a virus scan, if you assign that process to one core, the other one is free to do whatever you want.

Win64 is the redheaded stepchild of MS. You know that nifty verification thing they have now, that verifies you have Genuine Windows before you can download any non-critical updates? Last time I checked (which has been a few months), there was no verification script for Win64, so no updates.

Do you really need an antivirus program b/c isnt their not that many 64 bit virus or can 32bit virus affect the 64bit windows?

Back