Question about 27" 1080p and grid lines

tetris42

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently tried an LG 27MP75HM 27" 1080p ips monitor that I ended up returning partially because the color was a little messed up compared to my old monitor (Dell u2412m), but also because the grid lines on it were very visible in some parts. I've seen lots of people say that 27" for a 1080 computer monitor is too large and honestly, the pixel size doesn't bother me at all. However the GRID LINE size in between the pixels is a dealbreaker and on that monitor it was very visible for some colors (bright reds and oranges especially).

I wanted to ask, is this just a fact of 1080 monitors that large or do you think it had more to do with the particular panel I used?

I absolutely love the color on my Dell, but I definitely prefer a 16x9 aspect ratio and was hoping to go with a larger screen if I could, though I don't have the horsepower for 1440 gaming.

Just a passing comment. If you were wondering what's the next step down, I'd say a 25 inch like the HP 25xw (1080p). I found very few 26 inch monitors on amazon.

EDIT: I just found a 25 inch Dell: Dell UltraSharp U2515H

Last edited:
The HP might be a good choice, I can look into that. The u2515h is 1440p though. As some who likes AA in gaming as much as I do, I just simply wouldn't have the GPU power for that.

The HP might be a good choice, I can look into that. The u2515h is 1440p though. As some who likes AA in gaming as much as I do, I just simply wouldn't have the GPU power for that.

Actually many people do not use AA when using a 1440p monitor. I myself included.

BUT you do need a substantial amount of power to run any 1440P display compared to a 1080P display, even without AA.

I wanted to ask, is this just a fact of 1080 monitors that large or do you think it had more to do with the particular panel I used?

It's called the "screen door effect" and generally always will be an issue the lower the pixels per inch the display is.

Actually many people do not use AA when using a 1440p monitor. I myself included.

BUT you do need a substantial amount of power to run any 1440P display compared to a 1080P display, even without AA.
Again, I'm an AA junkie. I absolutely hate the shimmering / flickering you get in many games without it. The thing is, AA with 1440p would just be a nightmare.

Even 2X using SGSSAA (the only kind that cleans up things like shader aliasing and small lines) is doing more processing power than a 1440p display with no AA. My system can handle that, but multiple that at 1440p and I think it would get ugly in terms of power.

Again, I'm an AA junkie. I absolutely hate the shimmering / flickering you get in many games without it. The thing is, AA with 1440p would just be a nightmare.

Even 2X using SGSSAA (the only kind that cleans up things like shader aliasing and small lines) is doing more processing power than a 1440p display with no AA. My system can handle that, but multiple that at 1440p and I think it would get ugly in terms of power.

But 1440p at 25" or 27" is very good PPI anyway so you would only need 2xaa, its 80% more pixels than 1080p so there will be a lot less aliasing to deal with.

I only have a GT 640 and can play the new pre-alpha demo of Unreal Tournament at 1080p with mostly medium settings (these parameters were auto-set by the game). Anyway, I like my HP 25xi whether it's for gaming or browsing the web. The current model is HP 25xw however.

Back