Quest for the (almost) perfect case

Xyrax

Limp Gawd
I currently have an old CM Stacker that's huge. I'm ready to go with something smaller but am having trouble finding a case that will work with my current system (see signature). I've found a few "maybe's" but nothing that I know for sure will fit.

I did some research and based on measurements various users gave I took a chance with the Lian Li PC-V800B. It turns out this case was too small by 1 inch (doh! so close) to fit my video card with the Corsair PSU. So, I now have all the parts back in my old case and an RMA open with Newegg to return the case. I was disappointed because that case was really nice.

Now I ask for some recommendations. I am looking for a case that meets the following requirements:

- Must support uATX mobo's (it can be a full ATX case as long as it also supports uATX mobo's)
- Must support standard ATX PSU
- Must provide sufficient space for an XFX Radeon HD4890 video card. (as long as the entire mobo has clearance (i.e. nothing hanging over the motherboard) then there will be enough room).
- Would prefer to keep the Auzentech but am willing to sacrifice it and use on-board sound if needed.
- Must have room for 1 internal DVD burner
- Must have room for 2 3.5" Hard Drives.
- Must have decent airflow (it's a gaming PC after all) (also not afraid to do some minor mod's if required)
- Would very much prefer a "desktop" case (horizontal) that will support a 24" LCD monitor sitting on top of it. A cube case may also be an option. I'm trying to avoid towers but will go with one as a last resort.
- Must be black in color

Does anyone know of anything that meets the above requirements and still looks half decent? I was lookign at some of the new Lina Li's

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product04.php?cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=64

Unfortunately, the pictures are angles that don't allow me to see if the entire motherboard will have clearance. The problem I had with the PC-V800B was that the PSU "hung" over the motherboard by about 1.5" and invaded the space where the video card needed to be.

- Would very much prefer a "desktop" case (horizontal) that will support a 24" LCD monitor sitting on top of it.
You shouldn't expect pizza boxes to be able to house high end components

I currently have an old CM Stacker that's huge.
Having used one I disagree, it's just average in height.

Thanks for the response. Those are all one's I've looked at and am considering as a last resort (trying to stay away from a tower). However, I'm trying to go for a horizontal desktop case (HTPC style).

The reason I am trying to find a desktop case is due to space. With my current CM Stacker I have sitting on my desk I have extremely limited space. A desktop case will allow me to put it under the monitor freeing up some space. I have zero room on the floor for a tower so it has to sit on the desk.

[edit] I just realized the 360 looks like it can be used in either position. unfortunately the PSU placement is identical to the LL PC-V800 and that makes me nervous. I'll have to see if my local MC has them and check it out in person.

Last edited:
I will add that I've fit a 9800GTX into an Elite 340 (which is the same as the 341; the 341 has a revised outside and tool-less stuff) so your card would fit fine in the 341. I had a TRUE in my 340 as well.

I will also add though that hot components in smaller cases is do-able, but expect higher temps than what you have now. The best enthusiast SFF case you're going to find is the LL PC-V350 or PC-V351, but it does have a heat pocket at the rear of the case. Having owned several SFF cases (V350, Elite 340, Antec NSK-3480 which is almost the same as the CM 340/341 also) - I would recommend the CM 340 or 341 with hot hardware because it has the best balance of intake and exhaust. V350 has plenty of intake, but no active exhaust in the main compartment where it matters (ie not counting the 80mm behind the HD's).

The Elite 360 is promising since you can do it horizontal, but I'm not convinced it would have enough of a balance of intake and exhaust for your stuff (particularly the 4890).

You shouldn't expect pizza boxes to be able to house high end components

Having used one I disagree, it's just average in height.

I'm not looking for a Pizza box. The Lian Li PC-V800 is FAR from a "pizza box" and would have been exactly what I'm looking for if it was only 1 inch deeper. LCD's aren't too heavy as long as the case includes a crossbar.

The case may be average height but it's still a big case when compared to the available space I have.

Back