quastion about the Vista Upgrade Matrix

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
Microsoft's vista upgrade matrix:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060730-7384.html

Upgrading from windows 2000 to XP was fairly simple I remember... I run xp64 right now and according to the matrix, I cannot upgrade to any version of vista.

However, the matrix does not list vista 64bit versions... basically I want to know if I can upgrade any of the xp versions to vista 64, or is the matrix only specifying 32bit upgrade paths?

It just seems kindof silly that, according to the matrix, xp32 *may* upgrade to vista 64, but xp64 *probably* does not.

I would like to know, for sure, what can upgrade to what as I want to plan ahead.

This might not be the answer you are looking for, but it's always better to do a clean install. Considering Vista is a completely new OS, I'd want to do a fresh install anyway, to ensure all the "old" OS was gone.

i want to know prices frist

hmm wonder if can just send M$ an arm and leg now for Ultimate :rolleyes:

Considering Vista is a completely new OS, I'd want to do a fresh install anyway, to ensure all the "old" OS was gone.

Haha, yeah... I hate reinstalling all my apps... and I keep pretty clean installs.

I upgraded my windows 2000 install to XP after SP2 was out for a while... it was pretty painless. I still have that install on an older PC and it runs great... even after several motherboard swaps. I checked various folders and registry sizes between it and a clean XP install... and the difference was extremely little. The upgrade was suprisingly clear or artifacts.

I would certainly like to try the upgrade if it is possible first, and reinstall if it really is needed.

Basically, if you can't upgrade to vista64 from any version, there is no need to do anything right now, as I would be reinstalling no matter what... but I would really like to know for sure.

All I know is when I was installing the Vista 64 beta, I had to do a complete/clean install over Windows XP (32bit), and not an upgrade. That was fine as I was planning on reformatting, and reinstalling Windows XP anyway.

Back