Quality windows based hosting solutions??

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a reliable (as far as windows goes), and reasonably priced windows based hosting solutions to host some .net projects that I'm working on. Ive obviously searched around and found several windows based hosts, however I do not trust any of those web host review sites, and wanted some recommendations from actual customers.

Im not looking for a dedicated server at the moment, but would like that options at some point. Im just looking for some decent shared hosting to get me through the development stage of the project.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I don't know enough about windows based hosting solutions to give a firm answer, but couldn't you run IIS and .NET locally on your development machine? Haven't both been released to the public?

I know that mosso (www.mosso.com) offers IIS 7 and .NET, but they are a bit on the pricey side ($100/month). But they're also a kick ass host that you could use for all your hosting needs (sorry that sounded like an infomercial).

I'd also browse through the stickied hosting thread in here to find an IIS host.

Hope that helps!

i use 1and1.com, don't have any complaints. of course, i don't do .net developing... but for what i use it for, they are great

Nobody in there is specifying whether or not those hosts are windows hosts and every suggestion ive read in there thus far was for a *nix host. Are you suggesting that I click on every single link in that post to find a windows host?

By the way thanks to the other posters for the aforementioned suggestions.

Well according to the forum rules, that would be the only 'real' alternative (checking every link). Though let's see how long the thread lasts ;)

Nobody in there is specifying whether or not those hosts are windows hosts and every suggestion ive read in there thus far was for a *nix host. Are you suggesting that I click on every single link in that post to find a windows host?

By the way thanks to the other posters for the aforementioned suggestions.

You can also pose the question inside the Hosting Feedback thread. As long as the post is relevant to that thread it won't be deleted, while every thread that asks about hosting outside of that thread has always been locked. :eek:

Also specify how much you'd be willing to pay. Sure, shared hosting can be had on the cheap (1&1 is mighty cheap for some plans), but you might want to stay under $10 while someone is completely in love with $20 windows hosting.

I can't provide any answer though, I use a Linux VPS and have never dealt with commercial Windows-based hosting.

You can also pose the question inside the Hosting Feedback thread. As long as the post is relevant to that thread it won't be deleted, while every thread that asks about hosting outside of that thread has always been locked. :eek:

Also specify how much you'd be willing to pay. Sure, shared hosting can be had on the cheap (1&1 is mighty cheap for some plans), but you might want to stay under $10 while someone is completely in love with $20 windows hosting.

I can't provide any answer though, I use a Linux VPS and have never dealt with commercial Windows-based hosting.

I suppose. :p
Anyhow I'm not really concerned about cost, I appreciate the mosso suggestion and may end up going with that.

They can go ahead and lock this thread, though I think we need to clean up the hosting Feedback thread, or even create a sub forum specifically for such information with a sticky mandating host type and other relevant information, in the subject to make them easier to search on.

Windows hosting for web?

I use Godaddy. They are really good and inexpensive.

Support ASP Net 2.0 AJAX. I think they are working on getting silverlight and ASP NET 3.0 going also.

Windows hosting for web?

I use Godaddy. They are really good and inexpensive.

Support ASP Net 2.0 AJAX. I think they are working on getting silverlight and ASP NET 3.0 going also.

I think you'll find a lot of mixed reports about GoDaddy. My old employer used to use them, and we had nothing but problems. However we were doing some pretty weird back-end things with the server. I remember one time it took them 24 hours to simply press a button on the server box (it had hard locked and needed to be reset).

I think if you just use them for basic hosting / development, you'll probably be safe.

You're going to get mixed reviews for any questions about quality of a webhost. For example, the one poster's positive comments about "1and1" can be negated by my past experience with them just to get ASP.Net 2.0 turned on for a site.

Looking at the "www.asp.net" site, there was a link to MS's site listing some ASP.Net providers. Perhaps you can find some more details about webhost features that could help your decision:
http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/directory/default.aspx

You're going to get mixed reviews for any questions about quality of a webhost. For example, the one poster's positive comments about "1and1" can be negated by my past experience with them just to get ASP.Net 2.0 turned on for a site.

Good point.

Looking at the "www.asp.net" site, there was a link to MS's site listing some ASP.Net providers. Perhaps you can find some more details about webhost features that could help your decision:
http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/directory/default.aspx

Ahh thank you for that link, that was very helpful.

Back