• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quality sound

Hawk001

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
225
Recently had a thread here, now just coming to finish up a small issue.

I will be using these speakers amost exclusivly for music, almost no movies, and very little gaming. I can set them up for some semi-proper surround sound setup, but not perfect. Main thing is good clean crisp bass, and really high quality sound.

(all will be used with a x-fi xteme music)

May I introduce my candidates.

1) Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Setup

2) Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 Setup

3) Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 Setup

Anything for $150 or less. I would also like the option of adding additional satellites to a 2.1 setup some how but I believe Im not fully aware of how this is possible.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.
 
If your only going to listen to music I would get the Klipsh 2.1

The 5.1 really shine in a movie or gaming setting, whereas music usually is encoded for a 2.1 system.
 
discochan said:
If your only going to listen to music I would get the Klipsh 2.1

The 5.1 really shine in a movie or gaming setting, whereas music usually is encoded for a 2.1 system.

So if disregarding the setup (2.1 or 5.1) and everthing else, if listening to you average mp3 music, the kilipsch will give off the best quality sound? Does the sub give off really nice, crisp bass?
 
yes, the logitechs will give decent bass.... it will be louder.. but the Klipsch is a bigger audio company and they do it better...
 
aZn_plyR said:
yes, the logitechs will give decent bass.... it will be louder.. but the Klipsch is a bigger audio company and they do it better...

Not as much about volume as it is about quality.
 
I own the Logi Z-2300 2.1 and I'm very happy with the set.

BTW - I alos own a Klipsch 5.1 set for my home theater. Great for movies, so so for music.
 
blksnake said:
I own the Logi Z-2300 2.1 and I'm very happy with the set.

BTW - I alos own a Klipsch 5.1 set for my home theater. Great for movies, so so for music.

The sub isnt nearly the size for a home theater, nor is the set in all. How do you feal about the quality? of the logitech z-2300s
 
Personally, I'd invest in a decent receiver / 2/2.1 speaker combo. I had the logitech Z680's for awhile, but when I switched to my current setup (nothing special: a couple bookshelf speakers & 10" sub), I decided I'd never go back. That's just my personal opinion, anyway.
 
I'd go with the Klipsch. I'd say they have a more accurate reproduction that the Logitechs. The Logitech's are still good don't get me wrong but like aZnplyR said Klipsch just does it better :) BTW Logitech's are a boommier kinda sound.
 
Cool, lots of positive feedback for the klipschs. But if I add another set of Klipschs, another 2.1 set if I buy one now, will it sound wierd in anyway? How do you set up 2 sets of 2.1 to a X-FI XM? How about 1?
 
Just plug one set to the FRONT output, and one set to the REAR and set up in XFI that its 4.0/4.1 ... the only weird thing is that you'll need to do the volumes accordingly the same or however you want. You'll have a weird setup because controling it all maybe an issue? But It's plausible to do. 4.2 Setup. I remember Klipsch actually sold a 4.2 system back in the day but I guess the appeal died down?
 
Yea they stilll do its on there site. I dont see how it is different then 2 sets of 2.1 but what ever.
 
insanarchist said:
Personally, I'd invest in a decent receiver / 2/2.1 speaker combo. I had the logitech Z680's for awhile, but when I switched to my current setup (nothing special: a couple bookshelf speakers & 10" sub), I decided I'd never go back. That's just my personal opinion, anyway.
agreed, my z680s are almost painful to listen to and the bass is really really sloppy compared to my ht sub
 
Im not really in the market for a reciever at all. Just looking for some speakers for my computer in my room to listen to music with really high quality.
 
Hawk001 said:
Im not really in the market for a reciever at all. Just looking for some speakers for my computer in my room to listen to music with really high quality.

Really high quality and pc speakers don't mix. Really high quality and receiver/speakers can mix however. You can hook a receiver up to your pc sound card if you didn't know.
 
ok highest quality I can get out of computer 2.1 speakers for less then $150. Thats what Im going to buy.
 
The Klipsch 2.1 would probably sound better seeing as how they have a dedicated tweeter for the higher frequencies, where the logitechs do not. I haven't done any side to side comparisons though.
 
Hawk001 said:
Recently had a thread here, now just coming to finish up a small issue.

I will be using these speakers amost exclusivly for music, almost no movies, and very little gaming. I can set them up for some semi-proper surround sound setup, but not perfect. Main thing is good clean crisp bass, and really high quality sound.

(all will be used with a x-fi xteme music)

May I introduce my candidates.

1) Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Setup

2) Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 Setup

3) Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 Setup

Anything for $150 or less. I would also like the option of adding additional satellites to a 2.1 setup some how but I believe Im not fully aware of how this is possible.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

I have owned the Klipsch (4.1) and the Logitech 2300 and have much experience with the 5300. I would say, the difference between the 2300 and 5300 are subtle at best. They use very similar size full range drivers (no tweeter). The Promedia uses a tweeter and crosses it over with a 3" midrange driver (crossed over at 5khz.... too high I think). There is no doubt that the Promedia sounds clearer - but at the cost of midrange I think.... if I were to get critical of it. The Logitech sound is a little more towards a warmer sound - more midrange and less treble energy.

If I were to pick one set that I could live with, I would have no problem picking the 5300 just for longevity purposes as you will watch that once-in-a-while movie and play that once-in-a-while game.

Just my opinion.

Now... you add in the Klipsch XFi. That's another story. I would choose the XFi, then the 5300, then the Klipsch2.1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Factory-Refurbi...ryZ32861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$179.99 for some $399 speakers.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking at the last part of your post, those speakers look like they are only for the iPod? Is that how it is? Can i take the docking station off? Can i even hook them up to my computer?
 
Hawk001 said:
Looking at the last part of your post, those speakers look like they are only for the iPod? Is that how it is? Can i take the docking station off? Can i even hook them up to my computer?

They are basically regular computer speakers with a pod. They will work with your soundcard.
 
Pinipig523 said:
They are basically regular computer speakers with a pod. They will work with your soundcard.

Sence they where made for the iPod, will I need any adapters, or any thing to get them to work with the xFi? If I do, will I be loosing any quality in the process? I found them new with a coupon code for 200 so Im going to do that I think. Will I be able to buy another set or other 2.1 speakers in the future and use both at the same time?

Also, through this link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/te...3044758?_encoding=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

I noticed that they are not THX certified. and that they also have very little wattage.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Basically it's like they took a speaker system and put an ipod dock on it so that if you wanted to not turn on your computer and throw the ipod in the dock you can play music. so it has the standard mini stereo jack input but also ipod dock.

THX certification for computer speakers is almost like a marketing gimmick now, don't get me wrong it's good but just becuase they don't want to pay money to put the logo on the box doesn't make it a worse product. the promedia 5.1's were thx cert'd but the ultra versions weren't and they were better than the originals. If we were talking about thx select or ultra thats a different story.
 
Hawk001 said:
Sence they where made for the iPod, will I need any adapters, or any thing to get them to work with the xFi? If I do, will I be loosing any quality in the process? I found them new with a coupon code for 200 so Im going to do that I think. Will I be able to buy another set or other 2.1 speakers in the future and use both at the same time?

Also, through this link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/te...3044758?_encoding=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

I noticed that they are not THX certified. and that they also have very little wattage.

They are regular computer speakers and they have all the connections you need. You will not get a decrease in sound quality. You can buy another set and you can hook it up as rears.

They dont need to be THX certified. Dont mind the wattage.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Will I be able to disconect all the iPod parts so that I can just use it for my computer, sence I dont own a iPod and never will. Also, what do you use to adjust the volume on it? is there a remote for volume and such?
 
Hawk001 said:
Will I be able to disconect all the iPod parts so that I can just use it for my computer, sence I dont own a iPod and never will. Also, what do you use to adjust the volume on it? is there a remote for volume and such?

Alright, I read the entire manual just for you.

The IFi's ipod dock acts as a control center for it so NO you cannot remove it. But that shouldnt matter as it looks fine the way it is on your desk. It will control the volume and be a receiver for the RF remote.

The IFi doesnt come with jacks to plug into your computer, however it does come in with an "AUXILLARY INPUT" on the back of the control center (dock) that uses the nominal 3.5mm stereo input that your soundcard outputs also use... just buy this from Radioshack for like $5 or so. Shouldnt be a problem.

Here is the manual so you can read it. This should answer all your questions. You can easily find the answers to most if not all your questions if you try a little and look around the Klipsch website.

http://www.klipsch.com/media/Products/iFi eng_.pdf
www.klispch.com

Bottom Line:

It will work with your computer, you will need the dock to remain connected to control the system.
 
The Klipsh speakers are amazing.

I have the ProMedia 5.1 Ultra's. The 2.1's are probably perfect for you.

They ain't cheap though.

-Larry

Hawk001 said:
So if disregarding the setup (2.1 or 5.1) and everthing else, if listening to you average mp3 music, the kilipsch will give off the best quality sound? Does the sub give off really nice, crisp bass?
 
Pretty cool. But no-nano, no buy.

Nano Nano.

Hmmm... I wonder if Robin Williams will sue Apple for trademark infringement?

-Larry

Pinipig523 said:
I have owned the Klipsch (4.1) and the Logitech 2300 and have much experience with the 5300. I would say, the difference between the 2300 and 5300 are subtle at best. They use very similar size full range drivers (no tweeter). The Promedia uses a tweeter and crosses it over with a 3" midrange driver (crossed over at 5khz.... too high I think). There is no doubt that the Promedia sounds clearer - but at the cost of midrange I think.... if I were to get critical of it. The Logitech sound is a little more towards a warmer sound - more midrange and less treble energy.

If I were to pick one set that I could live with, I would have no problem picking the 5300 just for longevity purposes as you will watch that once-in-a-while movie and play that once-in-a-while game.

Just my opinion.

Now... you add in the Klipsch XFi. That's another story. I would choose the XFi, then the 5300, then the Klipsch2.1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Factory-Refurbi...ryZ32861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$179.99 for some $399 speakers.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have noticed through reviews, that the iFi speakers are good for listening to your ipod music in large rooms, but at a desk or on a computer, they dont fair nearly as well, and they arnt the best buy for computer desktop speakers. Im soooo confused.
 
Hawk001 said:
I have noticed through reviews, that the iFi speakers are good for listening to your ipod music in large rooms, but at a desk or on a computer, they dont fair nearly as well, and they arnt the best buy for computer desktop speakers. Im soooo confused.

I dont understand why you dont understand that iFi is basically the promedias with upgraded satellites. If you're willing to go for the Promedia 2.1, then there is no reason NOT to get the IFi.
 
Just noticed on another thread that you will be buying the IFi with the XFi.

Good choice... and good luck with your new speakers.

Dont forget who recommended them to you when you sit there with a smile on your face.
 
Pinipig523 said:
Just noticed on another thread that you will be buying the IFi with the XFi.

Good choice... and good luck with your new speakers.

Dont forget who recommended them to you when you sit there with a smile on your face.

And if that smile is a frown, make sure to look up his address too :D
 
Back
Top